Server 2008 R2 - Remote Desktop Users Group resetting members to SIDS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R2 - Remote Desktop Users Group resetting members to SIDS

Server 2008 R2 server that several users in the domain (non-domain admins) need to be able to remote to -- added them to security group in AD, added security group to Local group Remote Desktop Users on the server.

(Server is also the RD Licensing Server on the domain)

Daily the security group gets reset to a SID:

Thus making it so no one from that group can remote in obviously.

I have tried several things with no success:
    • Rejoining the domain on the server
    • Reinstalling & reactivating RD licensing for the server
    • Re-adding the server to Terminal Server License Servers group

Any ideas that I haven't though of would be great. Nothing I can find in the event log is showing any errors towards it etc.
    Last edited by ntoupin; 31st August 2013, 14:34.

Re: Server 2008 R2 - Remote Desktop Users Group resetting members to SIDS

Am I understanding this correctly, that a Security Group in AD is being reset to a JPG photo, either by name or SID?

If that's true and it happens at/near the same time every day, try turning on auditing of object creation/changes for AD and wait for this event. Afterward, look at the security logs on your DCs to see which one picked up the change and how it was done.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
      Am I understanding this correctly, that a Security Group in AD is being reset to a JPG photo, either by name or SID?

If that's true and it happens at/near the same time every day, try turning on auditing of object creation/changes for AD and wait for this event. Afterward, look at the security logs on your DCs to see which one picked up the change and how it was done.
      No, sorry, I'll clarify:
      The members of the local group (Remote Desktop Users) is having its members reset to a SID. The jpg is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about..

Nothing in AD is happening, it is on the local server group.

Last edited by ntoupin; 31st August 2013, 14:34.

Comment

Originally posted by ntoupin View Post
        No, sorry, I'll clarify:
        The members of the local group (Remote Desktop Users) is having its members reset to a SID. The jpg is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about..

Nothing in AD is happening, it is on the local server group.

Typically that happens when the server cannot find the SID in AD and as such cannot resolve the friendly name of the group.

Does the group exist in your AD?

Is replication working properly?

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Typically that happens when the server cannot find the SID in AD and as such cannot resolve the friendly name of the group.

Does the group exist in your AD?

Is replication working properly?
          Yes the group is fine in AD and AD is having no issues at all. Have tested with another server, never loses the security group like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ntoupin View Post
            Yes the group is fine in AD and AD is having no issues at all. Have tested with another server, never loses the security group like this one.
            Is the server just a member server? Can it be removed from the domain and re-added?

Comment

Are you sure that the SID is of the group that you want it to be?

As Wullie said, you'll see the SID only if the logged on user can't resolve it. This usually happens when you have deleted a user/group/computer but explicit permissions have been assigned.

If you've added the correct group but this SID keeps showing back up then what it could be is that Restricted Groups are in use in Group Policy and the group that is being assigned by the policy has been deleted. I would run gpresult and look at what policies are being applied.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Check the DNS on your machines such that they are pointing to the correct AD server. Check the time on your machines to make sure they are all OK.
                Check the event log on the RDS server to see what is happening.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                |

Comment

Working...
                X