Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central File Store for AD user profiles

Hello everyone

I hope someone can help with the following problem I'm stuck with for a few days now.

In my test lab I have 2 DCs (2008R2). DC1 and DC2.
    Initially I stored the user profiles in a partition disk in DC1 and everything worked fine. Users could log on/off on the domain with no problems.

I then shutdown DC1 to see if the users can login using the AD services on DC2. Ofcourse it didn't work since their profiles were stored on DC1. So I setup a seperate windows 7 machine and stored the profiles there. The Win7 PC is not part of my test domain.

At the moment users can login but when they logout I get the error message that their roaming profile can not be updated.

The only permission I can not add is "Domain Users" but I can not add it since the Win7 PC is not on the domain.

How can I make this NTFS partition on Win7 machine behave like a central user profile storage? Ideally I would like the directory (where the profiles live) on a network share but how can I serve out this network share?

Many thanks
    Last edited by goudeuk; 23rd August 2013, 10:44.

Re: Central File Store for AD user profiles

The easiest way would be to join it to the domain and share out - but remember you will only have 10 concurrent connections.

As an alternative, use DFS to replicate the profile store between both DCs and map profile paths to DFS e.g. \\domain.local\dfs\profiles

Remember that large roaming profiles can cause all sorts of problems and in general folder redirection is the preferred option
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ossian

DFS is an option but my servers have only 2x500GB (raid1) disks which is fine for now but I am afraid they may run out of disk-space in the future.

Is there a way to store the profiles on a NTFS network share?

I can't find anything online. I think I am not googling right.

Comment

Yes -- just create a shared folder and give read and change share permissions to domain users, then set the profile path to \\servername\sharename\%username%
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes but I can't add "domain users" because the win7 PC is not part of my test domain.

What if someone has a directory on a raid 6 storage disk array and would like to store the user profiles in there?

Does the storage array has to be directly attached to the AD server?
          via iSCSI? or Ethernet?

Comment

Some storage arrays can join to a domain as well or make use of LDAP to authenticate.
            To use "domain users" you need be able to authenticate against your AD environment.

But why are you using a Windows 7 system to store user profiles? Are you aware that Windows Clients are limited to a maximum number of shared connections?
            Last edited by Dumber; 23rd August 2013, 18:12.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X