DFS Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Question

Hello I've my windows server 2008 with DFS service already installed, also I've another server with replication working very well.

But when I shut down the main server, I can't access to a shared folder, how can I check if my DFS server has a good configuration?.

I want shutdown one server and the other serve as backup, thank you.

Re: DFS Question

I'm only just getting my head around DFS myself, but there's a difference between the replication partner vs the member servers in the DFS group which hosts the files. In the case of a smaller environment (all at the same site), you'd expect the same (2?) servers to be both members and replication partners. The replication settings ID the primary server, but if the domain is up and both boxes are members, when 1 is down the other should answer.

Anyone else, if I'm completely off the mark, pls jump in!
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

This is my actual configuration, the conection already exist so I don't know why when I shutdown C2 (I can't acces to the shared folder dftest)

h t t p ://i.imm.io/1fx4i.jpeg

Comment

How are you accessing the replicated folders? Through the namespace (e.g. \\domain.local\dfs_namespace_name\dfstest) or through the server name (e.g. \\serverC1.domain.local\dfstest)?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Your picture hilites the replication, but as I pointed out earlier, there's a difference between hosting and replicating.

Under the namespace, is C2 listed as well as C1? If not, that's why you can't see the share when C1 is down. If it is, then there's something else going on.

As JeremyW asked, are you accessing the share through the DFS name or the \\server\share name?
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            How are you accessing the replicated folders? Through the namespace (e.g. \\domain.local\dfs_namespace_name\dfstest) or through the server name (e.g. \\serverC1.domain.local\dfstest)?
            Through the namespace.

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
            Your picture hilites the replication, but as I pointed out earlier, there's a difference between hosting and replicating.

Under the namespace, is C2 listed as well as C1? If not, that's why you can't see the share when C1 is down. If it is, then there's something else going on.

As JeremyW asked, are you accessing the share through the DFS name or the \\server\share name?
            Yes it is under my namespace configuration as you can see in the picture.
            h t t p://i.imm.io/1fAk2.jpeg

if that configuration it's ok, what should I check to verify if everything is ok?.

Comment

If you're using the namespace then it should failover automatically. There might be something wrong with the DFS provider cache on the clients. Install the DFSUTIL on a client and run:
              Code:
              dfsutil /pktinfo
              Make sure both servers are listed. You can also force a refresh by running:
              Code:
              dfsutil /pktflush
              Info for installing the util on the client:
              http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/a...r-2008-r2.aspx
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Can you access the share on both namespace servers using;