Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple IPs and servers

Hi folks,

I've got a situation I was wondering if anyone had any experience in.

My company is currently undergoing some organizational changes. They've recently acquired a few other smaller companies, and want to integrate some of the IT infrastructure. Here's the scenario.

Site 1, five users, two Server 2008 R2 boxes hosting one domain.

Site 2, seven users, two Server 2008 boxes, hosting one domain.

Site 3 (where I'm at), thirty five users, two Server 2012 boxes, hosting one domain.

We've gotten direction that all the servers would ideally be located in the same area, particularly, at Site 3. However, there is a want to keep all the old domains, and therefore, have all the other groups "separate". So the question is, can 3 different domains, with different servers, all be hosted behind the same public IP address? If so, how do the workstations at, for example, Site 1 know to access only the server for their domain? Also, how would Exchange mail services work, given that the FQDN for all 3 mail domains will go to the same public IP?

Any clarifications on whether this is actually possible would be greatly appreciated

Re: Multiple IPs and servers

> So the question is, can 3 different domains, with different servers, all be hosted behind the same public IP address?

If all of your internet bound network traffic is going through site 3, then yes sure, assuming that all of your other sites will have different subnets within your private IP space.

> Also, how would Exchange mail services work, given that the FQDN for all 3 mail domains will go to the same public IP?

I'm definitely not a messaging guru, but.., if your MX records for the three domain names are pointing to the same mail system, then all mail destined for those domains will be delivered to that system. Your mail system (Exchange) can receive mail for multiple domain names.

If your mail system is hosting in your AD domain for site 3, you'll need to set up the appropriate trust relationships between the three AD domains so that users from domain1 and domain2 can access mailboxes hosted in domain3, assuming that domain3 is going to be the domain that hosts Exchange.

Here's another thought that I beleive would be very cost effective for an organization of this size.... look into Office 365 so you can host Exchange services in the cloud. Its only a few dollars per month, per user. At 50 users, you are probably looking at $3k per year or less. I dont think you can justify running Exchange on premise at that cost.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Re: Multiple IPs and servers

Do you need administration separation of Active Directory domains or are you just looking to have the users from the 3 sites each maintain their specific ICANN registered domains for email and web traffic?

If it's the latter then they call all happily live in the same Active Directory domain and receive and send email from their respective ICANN registered domains.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X