Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 Reverse Lookup Zone

Hi guys,

Recently I changed my internet provider and had to move to a VDSL connection and I started having dns issues.
    My network is like this now:
    VDSL Modem\Router from internet provider which has the external ip, lets say,
    90.91.92.93. The router has NAT on 192.168.1.0 - 255.
    Then I have my internal router that has the ip 192.168.1.2 and which also has NAT on network 10.0.1.0 - 255.
    The DNS and mail server is on 10.0.1.200.
    I routed the ports for DNS, mail, etc on both routers to point to 10.0.1.200.
    The forward lookup zone works ok, i have defined the mx record on mail.mydomain.com and also on domain.com and have A records for mail, www, ns, ns1, ns2 with the external ip, 90.91.92.93. The FQDN record has all the ips: 90.91.92.93, 192.168.1.2 and 10.0.1.200.
    The reverse dns lookup zone is defined on the external ip and is like 92.91.90 - .... Ihave defined a PTR record for mail.mydomain.com with the external IP but it still when I check from the exterior it doesn't recognize the reverse lookup.
    Can you please help?

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Reverse Lookup Zone

Originally posted by qqvali View Post
    Hi guys,

Recently I changed my internet provider and had to move to a VDSL connection and I started having dns issues.
    My network is like this now:
    VDSL Modem\Router from internet provider which has the external ip, lets say,
    90.91.92.93. The router has NAT on 192.168.1.0 - 255.
    Then I have my internal router that has the ip 192.168.1.2 and which also has NAT on network 10.0.1.0 - 255.
    The DNS and mail server is on 10.0.1.200.
    I routed the ports for DNS, mail, etc on both routers to point to 10.0.1.200.
    The forward lookup zone works ok, i have defined the mx record on mail.mydomain.com and also on domain.com and have A records for mail, www, ns, ns1, ns2 with the external ip, 90.91.92.93. The FQDN record has all the ips: 90.91.92.93, 192.168.1.2 and 10.0.1.200.
    The reverse dns lookup zone is defined on the external ip and is like 92.91.90 - .... Ihave defined a PTR record for mail.mydomain.com with the external IP but it still when I check from the exterior it doesn't recognize the reverse lookup.
    Can you please help?
    Your DNS changes need to be made on your ISP or domain registrars server unless you have a public facing DNS server.

Comment

I changed the configuration, the ip of the domain, on the domain supplier server to point to the new ip. The forward lookup works ok.

Comment

Also, it can take several hours before the changes you make to MX records, PTR records etc, propagate to other DNS servers.

Did you make the reverse changes via the registrar of your domain? Some registrars allow you to do this from the domain control panel, others require a support ticket and will then do it for you.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

i made the changes. And i made them over 24 hours ago.
          In my domain administration, at nameservers, I have
          ns.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
          ns1.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
          ns2.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
          spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
          mail.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93

I still don't understand why it's not working. Maybe it's something with the servername. The name of the server is win2008sv. and in FQDN i put all the ip's.

Comment

Originally posted by qqvali View Post
            i made the changes. And i made them over 24 hours ago.
            In my domain administration, at nameservers, I have
            ns.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
            ns1.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
            ns2.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
            spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93
            mail.spsaccounting.ro with external ip 90.91.92.93

I still don't understand why it's not working. Maybe it's something with the servername. The name of the server is win2008sv. and in FQDN i put all the ip's.
            So i'm presuming that you have an outside DNS server where you are updating these records??

Your internal name space and external namespace are different remember.

Comment

Make sure the reverse DNS records are there. Use this site to enter the real IP address for your domain.

http://www.dnsqueries.com/en/reverse_lookup.php

Does it give the results you expected?

Comment

It doesn't find anything. Can it be from the fact that on the external dns i put on the same ip more namespaces??

Comment

We are still not sure where you are making the changes. That tool should have identified the domain name from the PTR records.

Do you manage the DNS for your web domain from within your company?

Where are you making these changes?

The majority of people edit DNS for web domains via the control panel of the registrar with whom their domain is registered. If you do not manage the web domain's DNS 'in-house', you must make DNS changes via the registrar.

[Edited]

Comment

Working...
                  X