X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Exchange replacement

Hi All,

Our current network layout is as follows:
    1. 1 Active Directory server (WinSrv 2008 R2)
    2. 1 MS SQL server (WinSrv 2008 R2)
    3. 1 remote web server where SmarterMail Pro is handling all the mail related tasks
    4. 6 POP3 accounts with local MS Outlook 2007/2013
    We'd like to centralize mail database backup, use a single Active Directory login and share calendars, contacts, etc.

Please consider that:
    • We plan to reach 10 accounts in a few years
    • We have a static IP but no knowledge at all on how to keep a local web server safe and with a 99.999% uptime
    • A limited budget, of course.
    What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Alberto

Re: Microsoft Exchange replacement

If you can still get it, Small Business Server 2011
    Comes with Exchange, AD and SharePoint
    Easy OOB configuration
    Relatively cheap
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Do you mean installing this product on the local Active Directory Win Srv 2008 R2 machine?

How does this local MS Exchange plays with remote SmarterMail? Will inbound e-mails be handled by local Exchange and outbound one by SmarterMail?

Can Office 365 be considered an alternative?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

Have you considered Zimbra?

http://www.zimbra.com/

Comment

I'd recommend O365. All the functionality of Exchange and none of the management. At $4/user/month (paid yearly) it's a pretty good deal.

SSO could be a pain. A solution for my smaller clients is something I'm looking into. I'll let you know if I come up with a workable solution for a 1 - 2 server shop.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            I'd recommend O365. All the functionality of Exchange and none of the management.
            And the added benefit that various Three Letter Agencies don't need a warrant and to break down your front door to get access to your data (saves so much on office repair bills and new servers)

IMHO (and this is a personal opinion) any business needs to think very carefully before putting their critical business data onto servers owned and operated by someone else, unless they have a lot of safeguards in place for data security, recovery and retention.

Example: a customer of mine uses Dynamics CRM Online and needed to roll back about a week. At first, the answer was "no way - yesterday only", then with a bit of pressure it was "all right, but we are talking 5 figure costs" (and no, I did not recommend the on-line version to them originally)

Just to add to the above - from Google, quoted in The Register:
            "Indeed, 'a person has no legitimate expectation of privacy in information he voluntarily turns over to third parties.'"
            Last edited by Ossian; 15th August 2013, 08:07.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys. I still prefer the Exchange solution. We are looking for a quote. We don't upgrade Outlook from 2007, I believe that the Exchange license comes for free now...

What happens if O365 is down? Can I still work on my e-mail offline?

What do you mean with the OOB term?

Comment

OOB means - in this instance -- Out Of Box
                SBS has wizards which walk non-techies through most of the configuration.

Exchange no longer includes Outlook licenses, but you can use Outlook 2003 and upwards with Exchange 2010 without problems - possibly even older ones.

If O365 is connected to Outlook you can work offline in cached mode, just as you can with Exchange/Outlook
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Thanks.

I didn't believe that adding a POP3 account to Exchange was so difficult... We need POP3 accounts, shared contacts and groups and finally one single folder to back-up.

Comment

POP3 collection (as opposed to delivery) is not part of standard Exchange, but SBS includes a POP3 collector - the suggestion is it is an interim while moving from ISP email to proper SMTP delivery

There are 3rd party POP3 connectors for standard Exchange
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Do you mean that with a remote server running IIS7 and a local MS Exchange I still need something else to centralize e-mail backup?

Comment

???
                        Not clear what backup has to do with POP3 (or where the remote server comes into it)

Exchange can be backed up:
                        a) Using Windows Server Backup -- not brilliant but free
                        b) Third party products including BackupExec and BackupAssist
                        c) If on a VM, using some (but not all) virtual backup solutions
                        Basically look for "Exchange Aware" backups as this is required to truncate log files and hence save a lot of space
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Recently a guy stumbled on one of our computer cables, the result was a loss of the outlook.pst file (5 years of email history).

I've been asked to backup all these files, this is the reason with I started to ask about MS Exchange...

Comment

Microsoft categorically state that PSTs on network drives are not supported - now you see why

I still think SBS will be the ideal solution for you, unless there are any other bits of information we are unaware of
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Thanks a lot Ossian,

I will start to look if I still can purchase SBS somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X