No announcement yet.

Setting up FTPS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up FTPS

I'm not sure if this is the right topic area, but I have learned that I need to setup our existing FTP using FTPS because the client needs to send the information using encryption. They suggested using FTPS. I know that the FTP is not setup using FTPS, because they tried using WinSCP and could not connect.
    This is how the FTP is setup. We have a Sonicwall SSL-VPN 200 with all the FTP accounts setup. Then we have a Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server that has the folders/files of the FTP accounts. Clients connect using either a 3rd party FTP client or using the web using https.

Using a 3rd party FTP client, just connect via FTP port 21 with no encryption.
    i'm looking for some guidance to setup FTPS with our current setup.
    Can someone point me in the right direction?

Re: Setting up FTPS

If you want free then you can use FileZilla. It supports FTPS, SFTP, and a few other protocols too. It very nice for free.

I've also used WingFTP which supports all the necessary protocols and have a lot of features and controls.

Check out those and see if they'll work for you.

For the SonicWall, I'm not sure if there's an additional tie-in you use but I think you can just setup a new rule, mimicking the FTP rule but change the port to the appropriate one for the protocol you'll use.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Jeremy is pretty spot on with his comments.

Regarding the SonicWALL.

How is your system configured? Is it behind a firewall? Is it direct connected to the Internet?

Are your users using NetExtender for accessing the VPN? or are they connecting via the web front end?

Yes, the network is behind a Cisco PIX. Users are connecting via the web front end by going to a specific URL and access their FTP account.

So my understanding is that I can setup Filezilla Server using FTPS, then I would have to make a change on the Sonicwall with the correct port.
        In other words, I would still maintain my current setup with the Sonicwall, but setup Filezilla using FTPS?

Didn't read the while thread but is this where you're looking for?

Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"