Problem with windows NTFS/share permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with windows NTFS/share permissions

Hi, I been having a few problems with the NTFS/sharing permission i want to know the best possible way to do this...

*I cant post the diagram but will describe the best way

Course A -
    |
    |-----
    |A-1 |
    |-----
    |-----
    |A-2 |
    |-----

Course B-
    |
    |-----
    |B-1 |
    |-----
    |-----
    |B-2 |
    |-----

I have a common share folder lets name it "MASTER SHARE" inside(see diagram) is Course A, Course B, Course C, etc...., inside each course is A-1, A-2, A-3, etc..

Everyone have access to MASTER SHARE in fact is a shortcut assign by GPO and access based enumeration is enable, i want to have control and assign let say for Ex.

* user X permission to folder B-1 , the user x will only see \\MASTER SHARE\Course B\B-1 and nothing else. If in folder B-1 share with i remove user x he only will see \\MASTER SHARE empty.

sometimes i do this and user have access to B-1 but not to Course B and only access the folder if i write the complete path manually not through the shortcut.

What woudl be the best way to give ntfs|sharing permission for this purpose

Re: Problem with windows NTFS/share permissions

Well, simply put, they need to be able to see where they're going. If you want them to be able to navigate via Windows Explorer to their subfolder, they need access to every parent folder. Using the UNC gets you there directly, but asking users to remember to type all that out can be a headache.

Your best bet would be to create groups corresponding to those folders and share the folders. This will entail a bit of work on the front end, but assigning new hires to those folders will be as easy as putting them in a group, when all is said and done. You can always script the mapping of the appropriate drive according to their group membership.

Comment

Re: Problem with windows NTFS/share permissions

Or, you can use DFS to create namespaces with folders that link to the required course content. The folder target can be any folder that a user account has permission to access. The folder target can be the share itself or any of its sub-folders.

So, you could have a namespace called Course A and then create a folder beneath that whose target is folder A1.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
      X