Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active Directory deployment in remote sites.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory deployment in remote sites.

The main branch - HQ has an AD environment.

5 other branches don't have an active directory environment.The IT Policy needs them to be so with AD.

Is there a way i can use only one Active directory to manage all the other branches?

Do i have to install and AD in each of the braches.If so,is it possible to access them remotely i.e incase i want to create users without necessarily having to visit them?

Re: Active Directory deployment in remote sites.

Install a new server.
    Promote said server to be a DC.
    Allow replication to occur.

If you have no local IT staff then think about installing a Read Only Domain Controller.

Comment

you mean i install the new server in the branch offices.

Branch offices have different IP address from what is in the HQ.ISP providers are also different.

I thought this would hinder replication

Comment

The easiest way to manage multiple small sites is with router-to-router VPNs -- different subnets should get taken care of automatically (however I have sometimes found static routes need to be added to servers). As long as bandwidth is adequate (IMHO about 512 kbps site to site) replication should not be a problem

You can put in a general purpose server (file, print, DHCP, RODC/DNS) and manage it remotely or you could consider (budget/resources permitting) a file/print server (physical) with a virtual DC/DNS/DHCP* server running in it.

*separate discussion on issues of DHCP on a DC please - I know it can be controversial
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by pope View Post
          you mean i install the new server in the branch offices.

Branch offices have different IP address from what is in the HQ.ISP providers are also different.

I thought this would hinder replication
          Yes I do mean a server at each location however that is not the only way that this can be achieved.

Depending on how your networking is configured will depend on which routes we take to achieve what you require.

Comment

Working...
          X