Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R2 repair options

Good day everyone

In server 2003, there was an easy option to repair a server should something go wrong with it
    However in server 2008 I find that the option is not really there compared to server 2003

Scenario example1

The server 2008 std 64 wont boot up into windows.
    What options do I have to do a repair? The server is a DC. I have an installation disk

Scenario example2

The server is able to give F8 options and Safe mode with Command prompt is available.
    The server is a DC.I have an installation disk at hand.

The outcome must preferably not make changes to the active directory and rest of the server setup (dns, dhcp, file service etc)

Kindly provide any solutions to get the server up and running.
    Please note this is just in a test environment. I would like to be ready should it really happen to my dell poweredge server

Thanks guys for the responses. As always, I am grateful for any feedback
    Best regards
    HEnkl

Re: Server 2008 R2 repair options

1) Boot from install media and select "repair my system" option -- this should be non-destructive of data (and is for non-DCs but I have never tested it on a DC)

2) Regardless of accessing "safe mode" options, I would proceed as above

You have omitted option 3 (my preferred one) which relies on having more than one DC and blowing away the failed one, doing a metadata cleanup and then a reinstall/DCPromo
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And Option 4. Restore from the backup which you will have made religiously due to only having a single DC.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by henkl View Post
        Good day everyone

In server 2003, there was an easy option to repair a server should something go wrong with it
        However in server 2008 I find that the option is not really there compared to server 2003

Scenario example1

The server 2008 std 64 wont boot up into windows.
        What options do I have to do a repair? The server is a DC. I have an installation disk

Scenario example2

The server is able to give F8 options and Safe mode with Command prompt is available.
        The server is a DC.I have an installation disk at hand.

The outcome must preferably not make changes to the active directory and rest of the server setup (dns, dhcp, file service etc)

Kindly provide any solutions to get the server up and running.
        Please note this is just in a test environment. I would like to be ready should it really happen to my dell poweredge server

Thanks guys for the responses. As always, I am grateful for any feedback
        Best regards
        HEnkl
        1. Last Known Good Configuration.

2. Last Known Good Configuration.

If thos don't work then proceed as Tom mentioned.

To be realistic though you would need to determine the reason for the failure in the first place.

Is it hardware or software?

Do you have a second DC in the org (your really should have)??

Comment

Working...
        X