Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDS & Litetouch Deployment

Afternoon

I have been working with WDS and MDT2012 to deploy our company images to machines.

I am currently experiencing a issue when i PXE boot and within the litetouch wizard i have selected the image i would like to use, whilst customizing the reference machine. By default the computer name is set to OPEL-XXXXXX, i then change the computer name to OPEL-12346 and choose to join the domain. After a few minutes the image is applied to the reference machine, its added to the domain however the hostname is still OPEL-XXXXXX. Has anyone come accross this?

Re: WDS & Litetouch Deployment

Ever try pre-staging the computer name you want to use? This was simple on Srvr 2003, and is again in 2012, but they changed it slightly in 2008.

Install the RSAT admin pack on your WDS server, this gives you the tab 'Remote Install' in 'Users & Computers', when ADUC is opened on that box. Create the computer object in whichever OU you want, and on the tab I named above, enter in the new PC's MAC address, PREfixed by 20 zeros, no dashes, spaces or other characters. Click on OK and it's done.

When that PC goes thru the image deployment and domain join, it should pick up the name from the AD object you created earlier. Yes there's the issue of getting the PC's MAC before Windows is up & running, but simply interrupt the initial PXE boot soon as the MAC is displayed on-screen, and enter it. Unless you have some documentation from the vendor with all the MAC's listed, I don't know of another way to do that, but maybe someone else here does.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

What is your customsettings.ini set to?

(Hopefully 2012 is the same as 2010)

We have ours set to ask the computer name while installing the image.

Comment

Hi Guys

Look slike i have managed to resolve the issue. Turns out you cannot use an existing image as a base and then re-image it.

If i want to make a brand new image i have to start from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mmcdonald View Post
          Hi Guys

Look slike i have managed to resolve the issue. Turns out you cannot use an existing image as a base and then re-image it.

If i want to make a brand new image i have to start from scratch.
          Sorry but I have to disagree with this.

I've just used our old deployment image to create our new deployment image.

Why on earth would I want to start from a base image again???

Comment

Working...
          X