Problem Installing Windows Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Installing Windows Server 2008

I am a newbie at this but I am having trouble just getting a machine to start up and install WS 2008. Upon start up the installation cd is in the machine and it boots up to show the windows files are loading and then it puts up a command prompt window. The installation should ask for language settings, should it not? Is there a command I need to enter?

This machine was previously owned but was supposedly cleaned up and ready for use. It is a custom machine with XEON Quadcore / 4 GB RAM.

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Problem Installing Windows Server 2008

Originally posted by hawgee View Post
    I am a newbie at this but I am having trouble just getting a machine to start up and install WS 2008. Upon start up the installation cd is in the machine and it boots up to show the windows files are loading and then it puts up a command prompt window. The installation should ask for language settings, should it not? Is there a command I need to enter?

This machine was previously owned but was supposedly cleaned up and ready for use. It is a custom machine with XEON Quadcore / 4 GB RAM.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Are you sure its definitely been wiped??

Sound almost like your booting into a Server Core installation.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Are you sure its definitely been wiped??

Sound almost like your booting into a Server Core installation.
      Yes, the machine has nothing on it. I put two new HDDs in it. The BIOS show the drives (set as RAID 0), and the DVDRAM drive is listed. Upon boot the dvd spins and start up begins as expected, but the command prompt opens as soon as the WS 2008 grey background screen shows up. The dvd/cd is a Windows Server 2008 OEM. I have the product key and virtual key but it does me no good unless I can load it.

I have also tried numerous boot combinations as concerns the boot order. I tried to disable all bootable items except the DVD drive and always the same result. ???

Comment

uhhh....

fdisk /mbr?

Just a thought.
        Rules of life:
        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
        2. Simplicity is godliness
        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
          uhhh....

fdisk /mbr?

Just a thought.

I tried that. Not a recognized internal or external command.

Comment

You would have to do it from bootable media that had fdisk on it.

Honestly I dont even know if fdisk is even relevant any longer... I havent done a bare-metal install in so long...
            Rules of life:
            1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
            2. Simplicity is godliness
            3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

download and burn your media again.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
                You would have to do it from bootable media that had fdisk on it.

Honestly I dont even know if fdisk is even relevant any longer... I havent done a bare-metal install in so long...
                You can download a boot floppy, yes a floppy , from www.bootdisk.com that will have fdisk on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  download and burn your media again.
                  I really think it has something to do with the RAID drivers or the Intel firmware. I am not experienced enough to fully understand EFI and firmware issues.

I will try and find a copy of the media to download and burn. Will the product key that I have for WS 2008 match up with a version I may find to download? I thought it was pretty specific to the cd that is packaged with the software.

Comment

Originally posted by hawgee View Post
                    I really think it has something to do with the RAID drivers or the Intel firmware. I am not experienced enough to fully understand EFI and firmware issues.

I will try and find a copy of the media to download and burn. Will the product key that I have for WS 2008 match up with a version I may find to download? I thought it was pretty specific to the cd that is packaged with the software.
                    I don't think it matters now about the media as you don't actually insert the product key until windows is installed on 2008 R2.

Download the relevant raid card drivers for the system and store them on a USB key.

Start the system and boot from your DVD.

If possible can you please take pics and post them up for us so we can actually see what is going on.

Comment

Had a Server install once that wouldn't accept the RAID Drivers unless they were in the oem$ (something) $ folder. Think there may have been a path set in the txtsetup.oem for the RAID Drivers. Of course I could be full of it but moving the drivers out of the root and into the Folder solved the problem and it worked.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well I don't know what happened here but now I cannot access the RAID array that was accessible before attempting to install a firmware update. The board is an Intel S3420GPLX. It used to boot up showing the Intel Embedded RAID II information that showed the drives as ONLINE. Now it does not do that. I had an option to use cntrl E to access the RAID array before, and now it is not available. The good news is that there was absolutely nothing on this machine yet. Here are some pictures of the firmware update and reboot. The update said it was successful but the WS 2008 cd still boots to a command prompt. When I rebooted a second time I got an error message about media test failure, check cable.

I found some info on Intel website about the Embedded Server RAID Technology II set up for my board but the videos and print manuals refer to an ATA controller configuration option in BIOS that does not appear in my BIOS menus. This is frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                        X