Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

    Hey,

    I was wondering if this is possible.
    I have over 3000 users plus passwords I need to copy over to a new 2012 DC.

    I've been trying this with ntdsutil and system state backup.
    If I can manage to mount the ntds.dit file and access it using Active Directory Users and Computers, how can I copy it over? I'm stuck.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

    Originally posted by xcalibur View Post
    Hey,

    I was wondering if this is possible.
    I have over 3000 users plus passwords I need to copy over to a new 2012 DC.

    I've been trying this with ntdsutil and system state backup.
    If I can manage to mount the ntds.dit file and access it using Active Directory Users and Computers, how can I copy it over? I'm stuck.

    Thanks
    Is this a serious question?

    1. Update the schema on the 2008 R2 Server.
    2. Install and update Server 2012.
    3. Make the 2012 server a domain controller.
    4. Allow replication to occur.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

      Or if the new DC is in a different domain, use ADMT
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

        Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Or if the new DC is in a different domain, use ADMT
        ADMT doesnt work on server 2012.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

          Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Is this a serious question?

          1. Update the schema on the 2008 R2 Server.
          2. Install and update Server 2012.
          3. Make the 2012 server a domain controller.
          4. Allow replication to occur.

          VERY serious question

          You see, I want to ONLY copy users between domains.
          I do not wish to join one to the other and replicate between them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

            I am sure ADMT for Server 2012 will be out fairly soon, otherwise use 2008R2 as a staging server:
            http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog/?p=300
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2753...?wa=wsignin1.0
            Last edited by Ossian; 29th June 2013, 12:08.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

              Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              I am sure ADMT for Server 2012 will be out fairly soon, otherwise use 2008R2 as a staging server:
              http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog/?p=300
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2753...?wa=wsignin1.0
              Alright,
              thanks for the find!

              I have managed to lower the domain and forst functional level of my 2012 server.
              However, I'm yet to manage to connect to it usng the Migration Tool. It simply says it doesnt exist.
              Do I need to add soe trust relationship or something between them?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

                Do you have a suitable 2008R2 server (see second link)?

                Also see general guidance for ADMT:
                http://blogs.technet.com/b/activedir...-released.aspx
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

                  Never mind...

                  I was missing a DNS record in order to reach the 2012 domain.

                  The ADMT plugin can now connect to that domain.
                  I'll move on from here.

                  Thank you guys a bunch!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

                    darn!

                    One problem though.

                    I have 2 domains: aaa.local and bbb.local

                    It seems that in ADMT I can only configure aaa.local as the Source domain as for some reason it gives me error 8224 on bbb.local.
                    Oddly enough it works when I switch between them :-\

                    Can anyone help?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

                      Originally posted by xcalibur View Post
                      darn!

                      One problem though.

                      I have 2 domains: aaa.local and bbb.local

                      It seems that in ADMT I can only configure aaa.local as the Source domain as for some reason it gives me error 8224 on bbb.local.
                      Oddly enough it works when I switch between them :-\

                      Can anyone help?
                      Can you install a temporary Windows 2008 R2 Server in your 2012 domain and try using ADMT to that??

                      Can you also explain what it is that you are trying to achieve.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Copying users from 2k8 R2 DC to 2012

                        As a thought, if the two domains will never talk again, it may be easiest to DCPROMO in the existing domain, replicate, then put the server on a separate network and seize FSMOs, renaming the domain if needed.

                        I have done this multiple times to create test environments.

                        Obviously this will cause major problems if the two domains come back into contact!
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X