Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Migration From Windows 2003 x86 to Windows 2008 R2

Good day,
    I have my printer installed on Win2k3 x86 named as PrintSrv2k3, there is about 50 printer from 10 brands
    I make a new Windows 2008 server R2 and want to migrate all the printers to this one.
    All my client are using Windows 7/XP x86

I install Printer Manager from the Server Manager on Win2k8 R2 and Export all the printers to a file, but when it come to restore I am getting a failure, and as it seem that this error is caused by the driver issue as the x64 is not included in the printer driver.
    the question is:
    As my clients are using only x86 drivers, why should I add the 64 driver.
    if this must be done, then its a manual work again.
    any help, I dont want to add the printers driver again

Re: Printer Migration From Windows 2003 x86 to Windows 2008 R2

You need to add the x64 driver to use the print server.

I'm afraid you will need to add the printers manually (with the 64-bit driver), then add the 32-bit drivers as well. A lot of work, but the results should be worth it.

You could try (but I don't know if this would work) exporting from 2003 (32-bit) and importing onto 2008 32-bit (NOT R2 which is 64-bit only) then adding the relevant 64-bit drivers, exporting again, and then importing onto R2.

You could also try connecting to the printers on the 2003 server from R2 (installing the appropriate 64-bit drivers) then changing from a remote queue to a local one)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your help, I also read the sad story here

http://www.zerosignal.co.uk/2011/03/...1/#comment-471

the printers I am working with are HP and HP supply windows 64 driver name as Universal driver.. so even if I download the drivers and add them to the server it will not fix the issue, I have to manually install the printer..

Comment

Maybe leave the old print server running for a while more -- there is nothing "wrong" with 2003, even if support is ceasing.

That way you could do a graceful migration, setting them up slowly on the new server and switching the clients over later
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I managed this using the print migration on the Windows Server 2008 R2 box.

Pretty simple and easy to do IMHO.

1. Install the Print Management Role.
          2. Add your 2003 Print server.
          3. Right Click on the server and Select Export Printers to a file...
          4. Click on Next and enter a file name.
          5. Click on next and allow the export to finish.
          6. Right Click on the new 2008 server and select Import printers from file...
          7. Browse to the required file and select it.
          8. Click on next and allow the import to happen.

Its all pretty easy to follow

This should then copy all of your printers from the old server to the new server and if memory serves me correctly it will have all the required settings as well.

I did however have to add the relevant x64 drivers to the new server before x64 clients could be serviced.

Comment

Working...
          X