Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System (pid 4) process 50 % cpu hog server 2008 R2

Hi,

I've been trying to find a weird problem on 2 2008 R2 x64 servers. They intermittantly show the system proces taking up 50% cpu. This is not constant, the graph shows a certain time 50%, and back to normal, then 50% again, and then back to normal. A reboot of the server alleviates the problem for a while, but within a day or 2, it's back. I've tried just about everything in terms of removing all our monitoring software, antivirus and any other foreign items, but i'm at a loss. I'm not in a position to reinstall the server, as they are used in production at this moment.

I found that there is a thread in the kernel that shows many cycles of ntoskrnl.exe kereleaseinstackqueuedspinlock+0x1e0 at the time of the cpu usage. I've made a trace with xperf, but I am apparently not skilled enough (yet) to map the thread to any driver or known proces, is there anyone that could assist me in doing so?

Re: System (pid 4) process 50 % cpu hog server 2008 R2

Hi, you can use Process Explorer to help identify the issue.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb896653.aspx
    Also resource monitor may help too.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the fast response!

Yes, been there, but that only shows me that it's ntoskrnl.exe as the culprit. I'd like to see which driver or proces is used by ntoskrnl.exe at that moment, that's why i made the xperf trace. I'm just not sufficiently skilled to be able to get the information i need out of that .etl file...

Comment

Hi, you can right click the process in process explorer and choose 'properties' this will show you more fine grain detail.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Hi, like stated before, process explorer tells me the system is consuming many cycles on ntoskrnl.exe!kereleaseinstackqueuedspinlock+0x1e0, but that brings me no further to a solution. I need to know which driver is keeping the IO locked, thus i made a trace with xperf. I just need someone to explain to me how I can get the information i need from an xperf trace...

Comment

hi, there are more utilities in the sysinternals suite to help you narrow this down.
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb842062.aspx
            I would try some like process monitor or procdump, there may be others.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

I know it's for win7, but does this thread help at all?

http://forum.sysinternals.com/window...opic28929.html

also - have you updated all your drivers on the server, and run either PSP (HP) or SUU (Dell) to ensure all the firmwares are also up to date ?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X