Dynamic DNS - 2008R2 and 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic DNS - 2008R2 and 2003

I have three domain controllers in my network - two are Windows 2003 and one (the newest) is Windows 2008 R2. Nearly everything about the new server is running slowly and I'm a bit concerned about it. Let me explain one issue:

I've configured DHCP (currently on a 2003 server) to process dynamic updates of DNS. This seems to be working.

A couple of days ago I built a new machine - a machine that would eventually be given a static IP address. But during the installation and basic configuration, the system ran with a DHCP supplied IP configuration. Once I was ready to turn the machine into a static setup, I went to alter the DNS record in the zone. I changed the static IP address of the new machine in DNS from the DNS console on the 2008 server. The 2008 server showed the change in its list, but several minutes later, the IP address reverted back to the state that the 2003 server had its list - the DHCP supplied address. (Meaning the 2003 server overwrote the newer change in DNS on the 2008 server).

I then went to the 2003 server and made the same change - the DNS entry stuck and was updated in the 2008 server's list.

Why would changes made on the 2008 server not get applied to the 2003 zones but they work properly going the other way around?

What should I do to confirm that DNS is working properly?

My DNS is Active Directory Integrated and set for secure-only transfers. The AD functional level is 2003. If any of that helps or matters.
    --

ScatterBrain

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    -- The Mythbusters

Re: Dynamic DNS - 2008R2 and 2003

Here is the result of a dcdiag test:

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>dcdiag /test:dns /dnsall

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
       Trying to find home server...
       Home Server = red
       * Identified AD Forest.
       Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Lexington\RED
          Starting test: Connectivity
             ......................... RED passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Lexington\RED

Starting test: DNS

DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes...
             ......................... RED passed test DNS

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones

Running partition tests on : Schema

Running partition tests on : Configuration

Running partition tests on : nei

Running enterprise tests on : nei.local
          Starting test: DNS
             ......................... nei.local passed test DNS
    Just a bit of information to help track the issue down.
    --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

hmm - I've never done that.

When I change from DHCP to static I do so on the machine itself and configure the NIC accordingly. Never had a problem.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
        When I change from DHCP to static I do so on the machine itself and configure the NIC accordingly. Never had a problem.

I also change the NIC configuration on the individual machines too, then I went into the DNS console and machine the change for the individual entry for the machine in question.

I guess I should have made it clear that the machine I was building at the time was a new Linux server. As such it doesn't follow the same rules as Windows clients, but the problem still shouldn't exist. When I manually change a DNS record in ANY ONE of my DNS server's consoles, that change should be replicated to all of the other DNS servers and NOT be overwritten a few minutes later.

I'm pretty certain that the problem is being caused by something on the 2003 server (DHCP or DNS probably), but I can't find it. What's strange is that once I made the change on the 2003 server, it stuck. I'm not sure why that makes a difference.
        --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to do here, or whether my DNS know-how is simply not up to it.

As I understand it you can do what you like in the DNS console on a Windows DNS Server - change, create records, delete them. The changes you make in the console should be replicated to other DNS servers on the domain.

However, changes you make to any client that is joined to the domain, or which connects to the same network will be picked up and added to the DNS server. You can't make changes in the DNS console and expect them to replicate to the client in question. Or, perhaps I completely misunderstand your original post:

I changed the static IP address of the new machine in DNS from the DNS console on the 2008 server. The 2008 server showed the change in its list, but several minutes later, the IP address reverted back to the state that the 2003 server had its list - the DHCP supplied address. (Meaning the 2003 server overwrote the newer change in DNS on the 2008 server).

This is expected behaviour because the DNS server reflects the state of the network, it does not dictate it. The only way to impose an address on a client is by configuring DHCP to assign addresses via address reservation.

Static IP's can only be assigned on the client - not via the DNS console.

Did you leave enough time for the change to the recognised by the DNS server after you assigned the static IP on the NIC?

Check out the accepted answer by DNS guru Ace Fekay in this Q&A. He links to some info that may help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-961f2d9a0dbd

I've never used Linux in a Windows environment so don't know what else to suggest.

Comment

I have a mix of Windows clients, Windows and Linux servers. On the Windows machines, everything appears to be working just fine. The problem is with the Linux machines.

All of the Linux machines when installed, default to DHCP - which is great. It allows me to get everything up and running easily. But after they are updated and ready for real work, I switch them to static IPs. The Linux machines DO NOT tell the DHCP server of the switch, they just start using the new IP.

So I go the DNS console and remove the DHCP assigned IP and put in a new entry for the static.

The problem is caused if I use a Windows 2008 DC for the DNS change. The change is accepted in the console of that server, but is not replicated. What's worse is that in a few minutes, the old DHCP assigned IP is re-instated in DNS.

If I go to a Windows 2003 DC and make the DNS change, then it sticks. But for the life of me, I can't understand why.
            --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

Weird. Just grasping at straws here... Do you use the same account to make the changes on each server? I'm wondering if it might be related to permissions

Comment

Weird. Just grasping at straws here... Do you use the same account to make the changes on each server? I'm wondering if it might be related to permissions
                Nope, same user account in both places...
                --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

If you open the Properties of the 2008 DNS server and hit the Security tab you'll see a list of groups such as DNSAdmins. Is the user account you are using to make the changes a member of DNSAdmins or another group that has full control?

Comment

If you open the Properties of the 2008 DNS server and hit the Security tab you'll see a list of groups such as DNSAdmins. Is the user account you are using to make the changes a member of DNSAdmins or another group that has full control?
                    My admin account (the account used for the changes) is a member of Domain Admins and Enterprise Admins - both of which have "Full Control" to DNS on 2008 R2 DC.
                    --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

Any indication of anything amiss in the DNS event log on the W2k8 server?

Troubleshooting replication http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Comment

Have you verified outbound replication is enabled on the 2008 dc?

Code:
                         repadmin /options
                        Will return +DISABLE_OUTBOUND_REPL if its disabled.
                        Rules of life:
                        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
                        2. Simplicity is godliness
                        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Working...
                        X