Network folder permission access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network folder permission access

I have been having some issues setting up permissions on folders that I have created on a new file server.
    Here is what I have done so far:
    I have a Win2008R2 Ent. file server with all the roles installed.
    A SAN drive is attached to the file server and on that SAN drive I have created a folder called Departments and shared it. This folder is going to be the root folder. Under that folder, I have created several sub folders.
    Letís just say the folders are:
    Acct
    Admin
    Finance
    HR
    Eng
    Eexcs
    IT
    Man
    CS

My plan is to have each group have read/write access only to their departmental folder.
    They should not be able to access folders belonging to the other departments. Accounting should only access acct folder, HR group should only access HR, Admin should only access the admin folder, etc.

Permission on the departments root folder is set up as shown below:
    Domain admin has full control
    FS admins has FULL control
    Domain users have list control

And here is how permission is set up on one of the sub folders:
    Letís take the Finance group.
    Finance Group has Read/Write
    Domain Admins has Full cont.
    Domain user has list

What I want to accomplish here is that I donít want domain users group to list the contents of the folders.

Right now they can do that.
    I removed the domain users group from the folder, but after doing that, the Finance group couldnít access the folder at all. So I ended up putting it back. So please if anyone can give me a help, I would appreciate it.

Re: Network folder permission access

Set your permissions on the top level folder for each group.

In other words rather than have the permissions below the top level folder, Admin, make the chnages on that folder.

Hopefully that makes sense.

IMHO i would create shares for each sub folder and a group for each that can then map the relevant folder to the user and add them to that. That way you have no users knowing that there are other folders that they can browse.

Comment

You may set permission to "Change" for "Domain Users" under Departments folder, on the sub folder like Acct, you will change Advanced Security Setting" and unchecked the "include inheritable permission ..." then add the specific group/users you wish to have access.

Comment

Hi
        yes, i have tried your suggestion, but now the groups that have R/W perms. can't write to the folders. I have checked on the inheritance, and it seems to be set up not to inherit.

Comment

Hi , If you want that no other can access your desired specific folder then i can say this cant be done by native server process. For this you have to see the logs at time to time, Moreover you can use a third party auditing suite that would help to get the specific result. If you i can name any of those.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by radioshacker View Post
            Hi
            yes, i have tried your suggestion, but now the groups that have R/W perms. can't write to the folders. I have checked on the inheritance, and it seems to be set up not to inherit.
            Can you be a bit more specific.

What exactly have you tried?

Comment

FWIW this is how I had set up our file server several years ago. Over time it became a nightmare managing permissions (and each sub folder was shared), especially if the root or share permissions needed to be changed.

When we purchased a new file server I created the same folders off the root of the drive. Much easier to manage and no problems now that they are not nested.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by radioshacker View Post
                Hi
                Yes, so you also need to update the security permission in each sub folder, as i say in the root folder Shared permission must be Domain users - modify and on the Security tab specify the users you need to give R/W perms.

Comment

Working...
                X