No announcement yet.

What would you do?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

I started a forum a while ago about deleted files across a mapped drive. All of the answers were the same, that if you delete a file, it's gone. Understood!!!

But what I'm curious about, is how Facebook, Twitter, Ebay, etc work. I guess I'm just assuming that all of these (god knows how many servers) run together. I would think that it would be a good logical guess to assume that the whole world is not stored on 1 server. Meaning 1 user accounts data could be stored across multiple servers.

I have a setup where I have 3 servers all part of a domain. The platform is set up as Terminal Services. 1 Domain Controller. 1 Terminal Server, and 1 Data Server.

The company shares files are on the Data Server. So I have a lot of mapped drives from each user's profile on the Terminal Server, to the Data Server. There are 4 different locations that use these servers.

I don't know of any other way to accomplish these users of retrieving a file from the Data Server without mapping a drive, except of coarse a backup. But if you do that once a day, and the person doesn't realize that they deleted a file till the next day, it's gone to because the backup has been overwritten.

I guess what I'm asking, is after reading this, isn't this the normal way that companies run their severs, if so, I would think by now, there would be something in place to retrieve data deleted across a map, in which makes me think I have this whole platform set up wrong. If I'm wrong, what would you do to set this up properly.

Re: What would you do?

I think you are blurring the distinction between data in a database vs data in a file system.

In a database, a deletion could, for example, trigger moving the data to a different table so it appears to be gone but can be recovered. I would guess thats how e.g. FB do it

In the file system, for Windows at least, deletions via cmd prompt or over a network (i.e. not directly at the local machine) are permanent, in that the reference to the file is deleted. The data may still be there but nothing pointing to it, so 3rd party data recovery tools scan the blocks in the file system for files that have no pointers to them.

I think what you are doing is the normal way, although most companies would keep multiple backups so if a file was deleted say 3 days ago, you have an earlier backup to pull it back from.

You can also (in Windows) look at Volume Shadow Copies which will preserve deleted files on a server for a period of time ( for more info)
    Last edited by Ossian; 21st May 2013, 15:30.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: What would you do?

Thanks Ossian!!!