Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTFS Permissions-Want to allow users to view other users' files, but not modify or de

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS Permissions-Want to allow users to view other users' files, but not modify or de

Subject: NTFS Permissions-Want to allow users to view other users' files, but not modify or delete them

Hi all,

I am trying to accomplish the following setup, and I cannot understand how to set the NTFS and/or sharing permissions to accomplish it.

The computers concerned are:

(a) A server, running Windows 2008 Server SP1, 32-bit, (not the R2 version), configured as a domain controller.

(b) Several network clients, joined to the domain, running Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit.

The requirements are:

On a Windows 2008 Server, create a shared folder for users in the Engineering Department, a department in the company. This folder is to be used to store documents created by the Engineering Department's users.

The requirements for this shared folder are:
    -All users in the department can open all files and, if necessary, run scripts or executable files.
    -All users in the department can create new folders and files.
    -Users can delete and change permissions only on files they create.
    -The Administrators group has full control over the Engineering Department folder.

-The part I am having difficulty with, is the third requirement, that users can delete and/or make changes to files only on files they create; specifically preventing users from being able to make changes to files created by other users.

I have been able to accomplish the following so far:
    -All users can open all files, created by themselves or another user, and can run scripts and executable files.
    -All users can create new folders and files.
    -Users can delete files they created, but cannot delete files created by other users.
    -Users can make changes to files they created. However, users can also make changes to files created by another user-this is not supposed to happen!!

Any help offered with this will be appreciated. Please let me know if I need to supply further information about this scenario.

Thanks,
    Peter Selig
Working...
X