No announcement yet.

suggestion set up SERVER

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion set up SERVER

Need to run DC, ADS, DHCP, VPN in same server.
    Is it possible ?
    If not, may i run VBOX in the same machine and run VPN from it.

Environment Details:
    Server Info.:
    > Core i3 with 4GB RAM running Windows Server 2008.
    > 2 NIC available.

Workstation Info.:
    > 15 Clients running Win 7 and XP.
    > Remote office running 5 Win 7.

Remote office user have to connect and work via VPN.

Re: suggestion set up SERVER

It is certainly possible to add the RRAS role to your current server and allow VPN access, but Microsoft strongly recommend you do not allow VPN access to a domain controller as it is a major security weakness.

With the environment you mention, can you set up a router to router VPN between your main and remote offices? -- most decent routers will support it and then remote office users can seamlessly access network resources without having to establish a VPN from the workstation.

I don't know if VBOX will run on Server 2008, but you do have HyperV -- Microsofts virtualisation platform -- which will allow you to create a virtual server on your existing one. You even get a license for one or more virtual servers (depending on the edition of Server 2008 you are running) although IIRC you should not then use the host server for anything except the HyperV role. You will probably need more RAM as 4GB isn't really enough to run the main server plus VMs.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

also, while it might be possible - I'd say your environment is underpowered and I definitely wouldn't put virtualisation software on that srever.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Tkz for ur sugg.

My current status,
        • Main Server with DC, AD, DHCP and File Sharing.
        • Secondary Server with VPN.

Now, in VPN server running Server 2008, Is it possible to implement Site to Site and Remote Access in same machine.