Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up user to local admin group of computer via GP

Hi all,

I have been trying to set some users (say A, B, C) to the local administrator group of their respective computers and IT users (say X, Y, Z) to the local administrator group of all computers in my network. Domain controller OS is Windows Server 2008 R2.

I first added the users A B and C to the local administrator group of their computers. Then, to add the IT users X, Y, Z, I used the Group Policy Management Editor to edit the Default Domain Policy of Restricted Groups via the DC. There, I added X,Y,Z to the Administrators group. This works and adds the IT users to the local Administrator groups of all the computers. But it also appears to remove the users A, B, C whom I previously added to the selected client computers...

How do I achieve what I want and what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: Setting up user to local admin group of computer via GP

there are quite a few walk-thru's on GPO preferences. i think this one should solve your problems with bumping the local versus the GPO members:

How to use Group Policy Preferences to Secure Local Administrator Groups

basically, i just think that you will need to make some security groups and manage their local admin memberships that way. that will prevent the users from being overwritten as membership to the group is verified and dynamic.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Setting up user to local admin group of computer via GP

Thanks James. Will check it out...

Comment

Working...
      X