X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Permissions behavior

Hello
    I have a folder "En-DB"
    I have assigned 1 group (en-db-full) full access to the folder (cannot change permissions or ownership)
    I have assigned 1 group (en-db-ro) read and execute
    I have assigned Administrators full control

Some users need read/write/modify and some only need read/execute. Admins need all permissions

I have this full folder structure in place already, but there are so many permissions issues, that I am creating a new structure and re-assigning permissions. I am copying over 1 subfolder at a time; from the original structure (there are approx 90 subfolders to copy over (the rest are all subfolders of these folders).

There are approximately 1900 subfolders/sub subfolders that I am trying to set the same permissions as the En-DB folder (all child folders/files).

After assigning the permissions to En-DB, I check the security on the subfolders and it appears that the Admins and the RO Group permissions are in tact, however the EN-DB-Full group permissions are blank. Which means I would have to go to each subfolder and assign special permissions to (far too time consuming).

I have attached 2 screenshots (ADPermissions.jpg - Top level folder and AdPermissions2.jpg - Subfolder

Any suggestions?

Thank You
    Terry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vanduzee_t; 8th April 2013, 17:42.

Re: Odd Permissions behavior

Have you tried going into advanced security (on the top level folder) and selecting the option to apply settings to all child content?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I have.
      And also to propogate inherited permissions from top level.

Comment

Just a thought -- where are you copying the folders from -- remember "Move Same Retain" that if you move a file or folder on the same drive, it retains existing permissions.

Having said that, something is very wrong if forcing parent permission isnt working -- as an addition, have you tried taking ownership then applying the permissions from the parent?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I took ownership of the entire structure (Domain Admin).
          So, If I copy the structure off the server, it will lose it's permission settings?
          I cannot Move the files, because I have Engineers working on their autocad and solidworks files... for those who can access them.

Thank you
          Terry

Comment

Hi! I will gv u 2 options for u,

1) windows share and storage explorer
            2) distributed file system

i think dfs will be more suitable if ur using a domain enviorement cz it give a vertual view different folders and files located in difference servers within the forest.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by amajeed888 View Post
              Hi! I will gv u 2 options for u,

1) windows share and storage explorer
              2) distributed file system

i think dfs will be more suitable if ur using a domain enviorement cz it give a vertual view different folders and files located in difference servers within the forest.

Good luck!
              Perhaps you could explain how either option could do anything to fix the permissions problem originally reported?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X