No announcement yet.

Read Only RDP Drive Connection

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Only RDP Drive Connection

Hi Everyone,

I've been a long-time reader of this forum and want to take a moment to say thank you for all the help I've had so far.

I've been searching for an answer to a problem for many hours and I've found something close, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me.

I have a Windows 2008 Server in the building. It is NOT in AD. It hosts a piece of bespoke software that is supported by an external company (the creators) and they administer that support over firewalled RDP. So, they ask for access, I open the firewall, they do their thing and I close the firewall when they are done.

Part of their work involves them pushing updates to the software. They do this by allowing the RDP to have access to a Local Drive on their connecting client.

So, let's say, I update a piece of code and place the file on my D drive. I connect to the server via RDP and allow RDP to connect to my D drive. When I'm in my server's explorer application I can browse to the D drive and drag that file to the server and execute the installer or put the file in the appropriate place.

It works fine.

Now, although they do a good job at maintaining the software (it's a database of sorts) we would like to apply some security measures to ensure that they are not able to do the same thing in reverse i.e. to run a large data export and drop it on the D drive (their local PC).

Make sense?

I was hoping that I could enforce a Remote Drive Connections are read only policy or similar. Does anyone know how I might achieve this?

I'm guessing that I could potentially open up FTP and allow them to drop files that way and maybe make it so that they cannot download, but I was hoping to change as little as possible so that their experience isn't impacted if it could be avoided. ...and I don't have to update the firewall for FTP etc, etc.

Re: Read Only RDP Drive Connection

I don't know of any way to do that. I think your only option is to disable drive redirection and have them transfer the file(s) via FTP.