server 2008 help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2008 help needed

Have just installed server 2008 and iam having big issues, i want the server to sit on my network without acting as a dhcp server, ive installed domain and dns as per the wizard but when i try to connect my windows 8 laptop and windows 7 laptop to the domain i get the following (see below) also i can ping the server with its ip from any other node on the network but i cant ping by domain name(ping techyguyni.local)

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you have received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "techyguyni.local":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.techyguyni.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate an AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when an AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

techyguyni.local
    local
    . (the root zone)

any help would be great thanks

Re: server 2008 help needed

Try running the dcdiag tool to identify what's wrong with your DNS. There is a '/fix' option that may be able to add one or more missing DNS entries. For more info on the tool and the available cmd line switches, see this MS link:
    'http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731968%28v=ws.10%29.aspx'

DHCP isn't mandatory, nor is it installed by default. As long as you know what your address range(s) is, and you're not making any mistakes as you enter the IP info per host, it should work.

Also, check for a firewall rule which allows UDP traffic inbound on port 53. That's how DNS requests get to the server. If that's blocked, DNS won't hand out IPs to lookup requests. That may very well be part of the problem, if other parts of the dcpromo & dns install wizard didn't work correctly.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply, i got it sorted i had a dns of 127.0.0.1 insted of the servers nic ip, now the computers can talk to the server, i now have a new problem but this is in relation to GPO. I am trying to configure GP To force the nodes desktop wall paper to change but iam having no luck at all. ive done a gpupdate /force and even restarted and even refresh on the desktop but nothing, help with this would br appreciated

again thanks for getting back

Comment

Thanks for posting your answer!
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

issue still not resolved, check my other post under this one in the main list

Comment

just to check

your desktop computers ARE pointing to the AD Server for DNS, correct?
            (even though it's not providing DHCP, it still has to provide DNS, which means whatever is providing DHCP (or static addressing, whatever) needs to be configured to use the AD Server as primary DNS
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If something else is providing DHCP (a router possibly) are you sure it is giving the DC as the DNS server?

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from both the DC and a DHCP client (and a non-DHCP client if you have any)?

And what exactly is providing DHCP?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Paulmca, you appear to now have three forum threads that from what I gather, is to try and resolve the Group Policy issue. Is now only the Group Policy issue you need to have resolved, hence we can change the title of this thread or one of the others and no longer respond to the other two?

Please ensure that you do not request assistance for the same thing in multiple threads.

Comment

Hi Guys thanks for the help, i decided to just install the new server 2012 and all seems to working apart from the clients cant take the changes in gp, I ll explain better, Server 2012 has installed,once i join my computers to the new domain and run gpupdate/force it tells me it was sucesfull(it wasnt as the change to the wall paper didnt change) i then ran gpresult /r to make sure the policy was appyed and yet it says it is it hasnt, the wall paper hasnt changed, i have linked the policy i created to the ou needed. This is so hard and yet its such a simple task.

if any further information is needed ill update as per request, i would love to get this sorted today ive been at this for sometime now.

As to the other threds i tryed deleting them but have had no luck there

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. I have now closed the other threads.

Comment

Working...
                    X