Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 Standard to 2008 R2 Upgradation

Hello,

I would like to upgrade our windows 2008 std AD server to windows 2008 R2, and we have additional domain controller in branch running windows 2008 R2, both servers are replicating properly, Now my task to upgrade the server to windows 2008 R2, can you provide me the steps in detail..please

Re: Windows 2008 Standard to 2008 R2 Upgradation

The steps are roughly:
    1) Check hardware and OS compatibility
    2) Insert 2008R2 media
    3) Run setup
    4) Follow on screen instructions.

There are lots of resources on but the MS site is a good place to start:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx -- look for "in place upgrade". The only likely issue is that 2008R2 is 64-bit only and there is no in place upgrade from 32 to 64-bit OSes

But surely this is a good time to consider doing a hardware refresh as well as the OS upgrade
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tried to upgrade but AD is not functioning properly and the group policy not working, some times getting message " server not operational"

Comment

Well, you will have to fix those issues first.

Suggest you start with the Best Practice analysers for the server roles, also checking the role event logs.

Is this your only server?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Did you upgrade your schema prior to upgrading the OS on your server??

Was this server a DC??

Comment

I did't run the schema update, Yes it was DC, can you tell me the procedure to update the schema please..

Comment

Have you actually upgraded the server?

To upgrade the schema, locate ADPREP (it is somewhere on the 2008R2 media) and run it on the server holding the schema master
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X