Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share permissions show as broken SIDS

Hi All,

New to forum but long time lurker. I've been having an issue with share permissions for our largest file server displaying as broken SIDS for a week now. Let me first describe the circumstances leading up to this.

A week ago we got hit with V32.changup AKA VOBFUS virus (not fun at all). I just took over this job last month and found my predecessor didn't have virus protection in several key places. Anyway, when server shares started dissappearing, my manager decided to rename our large file server. I had wanted to just shutdown the server service, but the server got renamed instead. It was just renamed and rebooted so users would not see or access it. It was never removed and re-added to the domain. Once we got the mess cleaned up, it was renamed to it's original name.

So now, everything is working, and even security seems to work as it should. If you look on the server itself, share permissions look perfect. But if I look at the same shares from a mapped workstation, and look at file/folder permissions there, the appear as broken SIDS with their domain names not resolving properly, however, they do show permissions associated with them and as I mentioned those permissions seem to be working.

Here's some things I've already tried:

Reboot DNS server
    Rebooted affected file server
    ran ipconfig /flushdns on source and destination
    ran nbtstat commands on source and destination
    removed WINS records for the "temporary" name
    Checked that DNS records appear correctly.

This is a big VM file server with several shares and near 2mm files. Any ideas of how to fix this permission name resolution would be appreciated. Hoping it's something simple as this is really a mission critical server.

Along the same line, I've seen a couple strange things with our Veeam backups with this since the rename.

Thanks

Don

Re: Share permissions show as broken SIDS

Don't suppose it has to do with broken DFS namespace? If the server wasa renamed/rejoined/etc as you specifiied, and DFS was in use beforehand, it may be that the DFS namespace has to be re-created as well.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
      Don't suppose it has to do with broken DFS namespace? If the server wasa renamed/rejoined/etc as you specifiied, and DFS was in use beforehand, it may be that the DFS namespace has to be re-created as well.
      No, DFS is not in use. Checked permissions on another drive/share on same server and they look ok. Going to open a ticket with MS.

Comment

ok. You renamed teh server, then named it back.

Along the line somewhere, I suspect you broke the domain trust relationship.

Try and add a new domain user to a share somewhere. Anywhere really, doesn't matter. I'm curious to see if you're able to do it - I suspect not.

(The most common cause for unresolved SIDs is lack of communication with the domain to translate the SIDs, or a deleted object somewhere)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X