Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust relationship problem

Hi ,

I am having 2 Windows server , one with windows server 2008 Std Edition , second is Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition.

I have create the same users in new 2008 AD but Now i want to be able my 2008 AD Users to be access those folders which are specially designed for them when those same users were on 2003 earlier. I want those folders should be automatically mapped as their H: Drive when they login even on new 2008 domain.

Do i need to create a trust relationship only to make this possible or is their any other way.

I am able to get the ping reply from both the server for each other , and even able to access those folders from new server using ( \\servername\folder name ) but i want those folders to be mapped automatically.

I tried to run the trust relationship wizard but i get the message

" The New Trust Wizard can not be continue , because the specified domain cannot be contacted . Either the domain does not exist or network or other problems are preventing the connection. "

what can be possible in this case..

Do i need to create a DNS Forwarders for this new domain ?

please help...

Thanks...

Re: Trust relationship problem

Are both servers in the same domain?
    If so, no trusts necessary

If there are two separate domains in the same forest, again trusts will be automatic.

Only if you have two separate AD forests will you need trusts.

If they are workgroup servers, your only solution is matching user accounts on both.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Actually this are 2 separate domains it self...Actually they just need to stop using their old hardware , so i just create a new AD and create same users in new one...but as of now , they just need to access those folders from their new server....so is it possible only one i create the trust relationship between these AD or is their some other way...

Thanks...

Comment

Why not just copy the content to the new domain?
        or have the user enter credentials in the old domain (which can probably be stored)

That seems a lot easier for a temporary solution which (if I understand your post correctly) is what you are looking for
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply ........

Actually the thing is data is very large and will take time to copy it manually to new server and will take about 10-15 days to complete...

so for up to that if users in new AD Domain wants to access the data from old server Trust Relationship is the only option or can you suggest some alternative....

also what can be solution for my error i post in my last post...

please help...

Thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
            Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply ........

Actually the thing is data is very large and will take time to copy it manually to new server and will take about 10-15 days to complete...

so for up to that if users in new AD Domain wants to access the data from old server Trust Relationship is the only option or can you suggest some alternative....

also what can be solution for my error i post in my last post...

please help...

Thanks....
            If the server where the data is can be, demoted if it is a DC or if its a member server removed from the domain, added to the new domain then it will speed up the process. You will only have your permissions to worry about then.

Else if you really want to use forest trusts then please follow this guide:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Comment

Working...
            X