domain.local to ad.domain.at

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• domain.local to ad.domain.at

At the moment with have domain.local and users log on to "domain". Our external domain is called domain.at and users can use owa.domain.at external and internal because of split DNS.

Because of mDNS problems with Macs and other machines we will build a new domain in which we want to migrate users. It should be called ad.domain.at (or internal.domain.at). domain.at will be hosted internal with Split DNS and external by our ISP (like now).

Is there any probleme buildung the trust between the old and new domain? Can the netbios name of the domain be the same, so users do not see any difference when they log on?

We too have a Exchange 2010 DAG and a HyperV 2008 R2 Cluster, if this is of any interest to this question.

Thx

Re: domain.local to at.domain.at

Thread title should be
    "domain.local to ad.domain.at"
    (not at.domain.at)

But it seems I can't edit the title?

Comment

Re: domain.local to ad.domain.at

Thread title has now been changed.

Comment

For the AD Trust, each name would need to be unique and I believe this also means the NETBIOS name. However, once you have migrated, you could then consider changing the NETBIOS name but you would need to tread carefully and first test this in a representative environment.

Comment

To which "names" are you referring exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Morgenstern72 View Post
            Is there any probleme buildung the trust between the old and new domain? Can the netbios name of the domain be the same, so users do not see any difference when they log on?
            Was with reference to this statement, so I meant the FQDN, which are unique already as you describe and I believe the NETBIOS needs to be unique in each for the AD Trust to function.

Comment

Ah, great.

So I will simply use a new netbios domain.

Comment

Providing the NETBIOS and FQDN is unique for both, then yes, you should be ok.

Comment

Thx alot

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X