No announcement yet.

Windows Time Sync Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Time Sync Issue

I am having an issue with several domain controllers syncing with the Windows 2003 PDC Emulator. Initially the Windows Server 2003 was not syncing with a authoritative time server. When I ran the command:
    net time /querysntp
    This computer is not currently configured to use a specific SNTP server.
    Now I have it configured to use

Now when I try to sync the other Domain Controllers with this Windows 2003, I've tried these commands:
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time
    w32tm /resync /rediscover

The time on the Windows 2003 is correct. The time on the other Domain Controllers was 27 minutes a few days ago. Now it is 52 minutes faster.

Some of the Domain Controllers are VM's , some are physical servers. Some are running Windows 2003, some are Windows 2008 R2.

I need some help to fix this issue, as this is now causing issues with users accessing the shares on one of the Domain Controllers.

Re: Windows Time Sync Issue

Look into other threads on time configuration in the registry and GP, but as a workaround, a scheduled job (daily?) with a cmd file containing
    net time \\pdcname /set /y
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Click link. Scroll down and use the FixIT tools. That's what lazy me uses and it works for me. Especially useful if you have a VM DC on a physical Server (and where else would one have a VM?
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Iv just had a lot of hassle with time and this is what i did to reaolve, maybe some of it will help you...

In this example all Servers, Primary Domain Controller (PDC), other Domain Controllers (DC) and other servers are running Windows 2008 R2 and are virtualised with Hyper-V.

First things first you will read to disable the 'Time Synchronization Integration Service' on any virtual machine within Hyper-V but instead you should manipulate the Windows Time Service (w32tm service) from within the virtual DC, you should not disable this because when a VM restarts this will cause problems, it should be done with w32tm.

You will need to find out what server is the PDC and running FSMO roles. Run this:
        netdom query fsmo
        The result should be your PDC and this is where you make most of your changes.

Make sure in the firewall there is an “Outbound” rule on UDP123 and the program is %SystemRoot%\System32\w32tm.exe just browse to windows directory and find the exe for time

This is where the registry changes go down!
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\W32Time

Make sure the PDC under config in the above registry address is set to NTP for “type“and all other servers are NT5DS, this means NTP is the daddy!
        Best practise here is to have the PDC look externally for time and everything sync to it.

Run this on all domain controllers (including PDC), it will partially disable windows time so it does not look at the host machine for time, important because we are virtualised.
        reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Tim eProviders\VMICTimeProvider /v Enabled /t reg_dword /d 0

You can go to the
        site to find a server closest to you to sync your external time. I recommend not using Microsoft as they are heavily used and can slip out because of this.

Below command will set the PDC to look externally but also check the registry settings as defined here to sync externally (you need to do both)

Run this on PDC
        w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:“,0x1” /syncfromflags:MANUAL /reliable:yes
        w32tm /config /update
        w32tm /resync
        w32tm /resync /rediscover

Run these 2 commands at any time on any server to see their source and when they last updated, these will be used throughout this exercise to make sure your PDC and other servers are getting time from the right place
        w32tm /query /status
        w32tm /query /source

Then run this on all DC except the PDC, it will make them look at the PDC for time and resync to it
        w32tm /config /syncfromflagsOMHIER /update
        net stop w32time
        net start w32time
        w32tm /resync /force

When you run the Status or Source query give them a minute or 2 after changes, you should not be looking at the Local CMOS Clock and you should not be using vm ic time synchronization provider as source either.

If successful the PDC should read the external site you have set and the other servers should say the PDC as source

Hope this helps people good luck!

Hey Guys according to that topic i think that many people have revealed issues with syncing their time with the time time servers which seems to have a ton of issues with up-time.For fixing that issue follow that url: