Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win2K8 Cluster validation failing due to disks which are not part of the cluster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K8 Cluster validation failing due to disks which are not part of the cluster?

I have two Win2K8 R2 SP1 servers in a Failover cluster setup. I have assigned the following 5 SAN disks to the cluster:

Cluster Disk 3, Volume Q, Quorum, Disk #6 in Disk Manager
    Data1, Volume D, Disk #4 in Disk Manager
    Data2, Volume E, Disk #5 in Disk Manager
    DTC1, Volume F, Disk #7 in Disk Manager
    DTC2, Volume G, Disk #8 in Disk Manager

All resources are assigned and working. But when I choose the Validate Cluster option, I keep getting the following errors:

Validate SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation
    Validate that storage supports the SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation commands.
    Validating Cluster Disk 0 for Persistent Reservation support
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read PR on cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com.
    Attempting to preempt PR on cluster disk 0 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com. Expecting to fail
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com
    Unregistering PR key for cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com
    Trying to write to sector 11 on cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Trying to read sector 11 on cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read drive layout of Cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com while the disk has PR on it
    Failed to read drive layout of Cluster disk 0 from node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com, status 170
    Cluster Disk 0 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.

Validating Cluster Disk 1 for Persistent Reservation support
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 1 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 1 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read PR on cluster disk 1 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com.
    Attempting to preempt PR on cluster disk 1 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com. Expecting to fail
    Preempt of PR on cluster disk 1 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com succeeded, or PR got removed
    Cluster Disk 1 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.
    Validating Cluster Disk 2 for Persistent Reservation support
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 2 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 2 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read PR on cluster disk 2 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com.
    Attempting to preempt PR on cluster disk 2 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com. Expecting to fail
    Preempt of PR on cluster disk 2 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com succeeded, or PR got removed
    Cluster Disk 2 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.
    Validating Cluster Disk 3 for Persistent Reservation support
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 3 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 3 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read PR on cluster disk 3 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com.
    Attempting to preempt PR on cluster disk 3 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com. Expecting to fail
    Preempt of PR on cluster disk 3 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com succeeded, or PR got removed
    Cluster Disk 3 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.
    Validating Cluster Disk 4 for Persistent Reservation support
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 4 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 4 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read PR on cluster disk 4 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com.
    Attempting to preempt PR on cluster disk 4 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com. Expecting to fail
    Preempt of PR on cluster disk 4 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com succeeded, or PR got removed
    Cluster Disk 4 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.
    Validating Cluster Disk 5 for Persistent Reservation support
    Registering PR key for cluster disk 5 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Putting PR reserve on cluster disk 5 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com
    Attempting to read PR on cluster disk 5 from node 06W8F2SANTST01.brightstarcorp.com.
    Attempting to preempt PR on cluster disk 5 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com. Expecting to fail
    Preempt of PR on cluster disk 5 from unregistered node 06W8F2SANTST02.brightstarcorp.com succeeded, or PR got removed
    Cluster Disk 5 does not support Persistent Reservations. Some storage devices require specific firmware versions or settings to function properly with failover clusters. Please contact your storage administrator or storage vendor to check the configuration of the storage to allow it to function properly with failover clusters.
    Test failed. Please look at the test log for more information
    The LUNs are all from a brand new EMC VNX5300 SAN so I cannot understand why this is happening. We cannot install SQL 2012 on this server until this is rectified.

The servers are "ProLiant BL25p G1" and are pretty old but I'm not sure if this is the cause of the issue. We used to have 3 LUNs from the old HP EVA6000 SAN, and they have been decommissioned but are still present on the server as seen in Disk Manager.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by JDMils; 7th March 2013, 02:50.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Win2K8 Cluster validation failing due to disks which are not part of the cluster?

If the servers are older, there may be a driver update needed. You don't specify fiber or iSCSI connection to the SAN, so I can't be any more specific, but if the SAN itself is new and the server older, that'd be the first place I'd go. Make sure the server is fully patched, and have a look for multipath or other connectivity updates that aren't pushed by WSUS, but available from MS.

Pls report back.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Re: Win2K8 Cluster validation failing due to disks which are not part of the cluster?

We found the solution. The server hardware was indeed older than normal, but up to date in firmware and drivers. Our external SAN support group found that there was a setting which needed to be set on the new VNX SANs in order to get it to work, but they are not sure which setting it was.

Thanks all.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Glad to have been of help.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I had both vms on the same host and found that was my issue. I moved one of the vms to another host in the cluster and was then able to run the validation wizard and create my cluster.

Comment

In my case the problem solved by changing the option in EVA storage were OS version has to selected to windows which was changed to Windows 2008 option available in EVA management console.

We also revert back just to confirm it was due to same we encounter the same problem.

Comment

Thanks drgmaul! I had a 3 node Cluster running on only 2 hosts. Moved #3 to third host and all good now.

Comment

Working...
              X