Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove DC from global catalog - create new GC

I created a DC under a domain, but inadvertantly directed its GC to the DC
    in that domain. I would like to remove it as a GC server in that domain because our network scan/copiers utilize LDAP for username email address lookup, and this server is interfering by slowing down LDAP username lookup to the point of the copiers being useless. Can I uncheck Global Catalog on this DC, and poing the DC to it's own GC?

Re: Remove DC from global catalog - create new GC

Originally posted by natyutzman View Post
    I created a DC under a domain, but inadvertantly directed its GC to the DC
    in that domain. I would like to remove it as a GC server in that domain because our network scan/copiers utilize LDAP for username email address lookup, and this server is interfering by slowing down LDAP username lookup to the point of the copiers being useless. Can I uncheck Global Catalog on this DC, and poing the DC to it's own GC?
    Uncheck the GC box in Sites and Services for that DC and it will stop being a GC. Clients will then look for a GC elsewhere.

Comment

If memory serves, you either set the GC to a single DC, or to all DCs. So if you've got more than the 2 you mentioned, and more than the 1 holds copies of the GC, then they all have to have it.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
        If memory serves, you either set the GC to a single DC, or to all DCs. So if you've got more than the 2 you mentioned, and more than the 1 holds copies of the GC, then they all have to have it.
        Never heard of that before.

This will tell you more about the Global Catalog role

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc977998.aspx

This will give you a guidline for planning the placement of GC's

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

IMHO i have 2 GC's per site, both are domain controllers obviously, but i can live with none other than the one i have at head office.

Comment

Hi,

natyutzman

I understand that you want to "disable" the Global Catalog
          >> go to
          >>> Start > administrative tools > Active Directory Sites And Services >

Then Expand 'Sites' > and Expand Default-First-Site-Name Then Expand Servers There you able to see your'e DC that you want to "Disable" the option of GC Then Expand The DC name, and there is NTDS Settings Right Click on NTDS Settings , Choose Properties and then you have Check Box Called - Global Catalog, Uncheck the GC and then click OK,

Regards,
          Swimex
          Last edited by swimex; 10th March 2013, 23:49.

Comment

Working...
          X