Can't Join Server 2008 Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Join Server 2008 Domain

I'm trying to join a windows 7 laptop client to a server 2008 domain and having a hell of a hard time. I also have windows 7 virtual machine that gives me the same error message.

I've done quite a bit of research on this and I know it's dns related, but I can't find any issues with the DNS server. I'm new to this and training for certification so any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Okay here's what I have so far:

I have setup all ports required for a client to join a domain on my router just in case that was the problem.

I have active directory and dns services installed. I have the client set to dhcp for ip and static dns addresses of my servers, which are 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.202.

The client config is:
    ip add:192.168.1.207
    mask:255.255.255.0
    dns: 192.168.1.201

Here's the server config:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-32-EE-3B
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201

I can ping both of the servers by ip and hostname. When I try to join the error message is:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "globomantics.local":

The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
    (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.globomantics.local

The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

I also ran dcdiag /test:dns

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
    Trying to find home server...
    Home Server = NY-DC1-2K8
    * Identified AD Forest.
    Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\NY-DC1-2K8
    Starting test: Connectivity
    ......................... NY-DC1-2K8 passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\NY-DC1-2K8

Starting test: DNS

DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes...
    ......................... NY-DC1-2K8 passed test DNS

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones

Running partition tests on : Schema

Running partition tests on : Configuration

Running partition tests on : globomantics

Running enterprise tests on : globomantics.local
    Starting test: DNS
    ......................... globomantics.local passed test DNS

When I run nslookup from the client:

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds
    Server: Unknown
    Address: 192.168.1.201

If I do a simple or recursive query there's no issue. I'm going crazy trying to find something that could be causing this.

Re: Can't Join Server 2008 Domain

I just got done setting another server 2008 virtual machine, which had no problem joining the domain so there has to be something unique about the other 2 that's preventing them from working.

They're in the same address space. Please guys I would appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks!

Comment

Perhaps this info could help. I ran an nslookup globomantics.local one each machine and this is the results:

Okay for the client:

DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      Server: UnKnown

DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      *** Request to UnKnown timed-out

From the server:

DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      Server: UnKnown

Name: globomantics.local
      Addresses: 192.168.1.202

Comment

Your NSLOOKUP issue should be resolved by setting up a reverse lookup zone.

Get that working first then we can get on to the next issue.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

I really want to thank you for giving me something to work with!!! So here's what we have after setting up the reverse lookup zone:

Server: ny-dc1-2k8

Name: globomantics.local
          Addresses: 192.168.1.201

Nothing changes for the client.

So where to from here?

Comment

Maybe something's not right after I created it. I created it at the forest level since I do have one setup and I created a new ptr record for NY-DC1, which is the primary DNS server.

Now I lost internet access and my clients that used to be able to ping the server can't do it anymore.

Comment

@sgee34: While it might be best practice to have a functional reverse lookup zone it has no bearing whatsoever on joining the domain or communicating with the domain controllers. The error you get when running nslookup simply means that nslookup could not find the PTR record for the ip address (of the DNS server configured in the DNS client) in the reverse lookup zone or that there is no reverse lookup zone. It's a perfectly acceptable error to get if you don't have a rDNS zone setup and as I said... it has NO bearing on domain communication. If you're chasing your rDNS zone issue then you're chasing a wild goose or a red herring.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                @sgee34: While it might be best practice to have a functional reverse lookup zone it has no bearing whatsoever on joining the domain or communicating with the domain controllers. The error you get when running nslookup simply means that nslookup could not find the PTR record for the ip address (of the DNS server configured in the DNS client) in the reverse lookup zone or that there is no reverse lookup zone. It's a perfectly acceptable error to get if you don't have a rDNS zone setup and as I said... it has NO bearing on domain communication. If you're chasing your rDNS zone issue then you're chasing a wild goose or a red herring.
                Thank you for the tip. Do you know of any reasons as to why it would timeout when trying to communicate with the server? I have 3 clients and 2 of them are virtual machines. Out of all of these only one was able to join the domain. If it was firewall or port issue then I wouldn't have been able to get even one of them to join. Any ideas?

Comment

What are you using for the VM hypervisor?
                  If it's a desktop based setup, such as VMWare Workstation or Virtualbox, make sure you have set your network adapter to bridged. By default they will set it to NAT, which will cause failures like this.

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJ View Post
                    What are you using for the VM hypervisor?
                    If it's a desktop based setup, such as VMWare Workstation or Virtualbox, make sure you have set your network adapter to bridged. By default they will set it to NAT, which will cause failures like this.

I'm using vmware and I do have it set to bridged, which is probably why I can ping. After getting 2 other virtual machines to join I'm convinced there is something blocking dns traffic with the other 2 machines. What that could be I have no idea..I've tried quite a few things.

Comment

Yeah sorry i should have said that it would have no effect on the actual domain join.

Are the 2 machines that you are having issues with setup different from any other machine??

Is the DNS suffix correct??

When you join the domain do you use the netbios name or the dns name and does it work if you use the dns name??

Are your clients using DHCP or have you set them as static??

Can you please post an ipconfig /all from the client and one from the server.

Comment

One of my students (I'm a college instructor) had the same issue repeatedly, where his machines would not pass DNS packets. He was using Virtualbox. We switched him to VMWare Workstation and it magically worked.
                        Not helpful, but you're not the only one with weird issues like this!
                        Hope you get it resolved soon, if I think of anything I'll be sure to post.

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJ View Post
                          One of my students (I'm a college instructor) had the same issue repeatedly, where his machines would not pass DNS packets. He was using Virtualbox. We switched him to VMWare Workstation and it magically worked.
                          Not helpful, but you're not the only one with weird issues like this!
                          Hope you get it resolved soon, if I think of anything I'll be sure to post.
                          Again thanks for your assistance. You might have a point about vm software because one of my vm machines is a Parallels so I bet that if I migrate it to VMware it'll work. However I do have a laptop as well that won't pass those packets.

It's really strange...I have no idea how those could be blocked in the first place.

Comment

Yeah sorry i should have said that it would have no effect on the actual domain join.

Are the 2 machines that you are having issues with setup different from any other machine??

The only difference is they use dhcp, but I tried it with static. It didn't make any difference.

Is the DNS suffix correct??

When you join the domain do you use the netbios name or the dns name and does it work if you use the dns name??

Are your clients using DHCP or have you set them as static??

Can you please post an ipconfig /all from the client and one from the server.

From the server:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NY-DC1-2K8
                            Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : globomantics.local
                            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : globomantics.local

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-C4-20-97
                            IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201(Preferred)
                            NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{EDF43A0F-BB8B-4B94-8C02-0CC28A3739BC}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
                            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
                            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

From the client:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NY-CLI1-Win7
                            Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
                            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-42-56-13-CE
                            IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.204(Preferred)
                            NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{45AAFA78-8C28-4980-8E82-9E99952BD48A}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Comment

On your client try adding your DNS suffix to the NIC.

Again does it work as expected when you try and join the domain with the FQDN rather than the NetBIOS name??

Comment

Working...
                              X