Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Deployment Problems

Hello to all,
    I encounterd a problem when I try to deploy Windows XP pro from the WDS.
    The sysprep and capture proceses working fine.
    when the WDS is finished, the client PC reboots over and over again with no BSOD or any other error massage.
    when I'm using a boot cd to boot the HDD its working fine.
    I have try this with many HDD's and systems. some workd and some not withoud any correlation beetwin what worked and what didnt work.
    I think the problem is in the boot sector that created in the partition and format procces just beffor the acctual deployment.

Thanks,
    Ron G.

Re: XP Deployment Problems

Have you tried replacing the boot image on your WDS server?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

with what ?

Comment

Do you meen to use an older version of WinPE for the boor image ?

Comment

No, just with another one (possibly off the Win7 install media)
          (Thinking "Corrupt image" here)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I will try

Comment

Hello. In the bios set the sata mode to IDE. Then see if it boots.
              Don't forget to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Comment

Hey ppl,

Ossian, Changing the boot.wim image did not work.

_TechSup1983, the MoBo's are old Intel D915GEV. there is no IDE/AHCI/SATA modes.

Any other ideas ?

Comment

Because you stated that the deployment works with some hardware configurations and does not with others leads me to wonder if the problem is driver related. Do you have any driver injection going on with your image? If so, it may be wise to remove any unnecessary drivers and proceed with retesting the deployment.

Another thought would be to attempt building the image out using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) as opposed to a manual build. MDT can integrate with WDS to allow for an easy deployment and its free. With MDT your drivers can be managed automatically which will in turn remove all the guesswork from the task. There are some drivers which do not play as well with certain tools as others, particularly those with dependencies beyond the .inf files or those that require user interaction.

In short, MDT acts as a common console and can handle all of your deployments, including Windows XP, and it allows you to create various task sequences to accomplish your imaging and deployment goals / needs. To start, you can create a Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence which will do exactly what it says in the title -- it will sysprep your image and then proceed to capture it for use with deployment. Next, you can create a new standard client task sequence for the newly captured image of your reference machine and you can add all your necessary settings such as domainjoin, systemlocale, time zone, etc. Then you can then add all necessary drivers specific to each hardware configuration as a post installation task and any applications you need as well.

If applicable, you can also edit the unattend.xml file / sysprep.ini of each task sequence. After you have modified each task sequence with all settings and drivers you need, you could then tie MDT into Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and push the image out via PXE boot. You can also create bootable media directly from MDT if you did not want to go the PXE boot method. Upon booting into the LiteTouchPE environment, you can select the image you wish to deploy and which task sequence you wish to use.

To become more familiar with MDT you might want to check out the following videos from the Springboard Series page on TechNet:

Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012
                  Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced
                  Deployment Day Session 3: Deployment using WDS

Another great video that I always recommend is Alphabet Soup Deployment: Understanding MDT, WDS, MAP, ACT, SCCM, and USMT.

One more thing I did want to remind you of is that Windows XP End Of Support (EOS) is on April 8th, 2014 and it would probably be a good idea to begin planning your migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 8. MDT can help you with your future deployments too so you dont have to re-learn a new tools. There are several resources available to assist with this process on either the Windows 7 Springboard Series page or the Windows 8 Springboard Series page.

Hope this helps and keep us updated on your progress!

Jessica
                  Windows Outreach Team IT Pro

Comment

I would capture a separate XP install image for all the different hardware types that you will be deploying it to.
                    Don't forget to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X