Sharing And Security Permissions II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing And Security Permissions II

if i give permission to a folder for several people with all the same rights(modify), and someone creates a file in that folder, why does that file not inherit the users that were applied to the folder?

thanks

Re: Sharing And Security Permissions II

Normally a file will inherit permissions from the parent, but there is an additional Creator/Owner permission (with full control) which allows the person creating the file to change its permissions
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

so everytime a person creates a file, i have to go in and apply permissions for the parent subfolder?

Comment

You shouldn't have to no.

Is the folder set to inherit??

What are the exact permissions on your share, both NTFS and Share permissions please.

Comment

yes, so when someone creates a file in the folder that has include inheritable permissions checked, it only includes the permissions from the first folder made...........

i think this might explain it better...........alpha is the main folder, i created bravo, charlie, and delta within alpha. bravo has its own permissions, charlie has it's own,and delta has its own. this folder i'm talkiing about is delta.

i'm assuming bravo and charlie are doing the same thing, just havent came across that problem yet.

Am i settinig these folders and capabilities up wrong? Or is there a better solution for this.

Comment

So on Delta you have removed the inherit permissions so that only the permissions from Delta apply??

It would be much easier if you could actually show us the settings that you have on the relevant folders.

Comment

Yes, But i do the same for bravo, and charlie. Alph, has include inheritable permissions. So whenever a folder is created in A, B, C, or D, they will be there.......I then Go to that folder, which would be B,C,or D, and remove the include inheritable permissions, because B,C,and D, have their own assigned users respecfully.........And again, am i looking at this wrong.

And to put another way.

Users of Folder "A", can have permission to anything created within, which is B,C,and D. (However, i don't want some users of A to see all of those folders.) It's really complicated how i have this set up.

To be quiet honest, i don't know if this is the normal way of setting up a data server or not. I try to accomidate the users as much as possible, but i will have 3 folders in 1, where 1 person can see just 1 folder of the 3, but not the other 2. And i have it like this in alot of folders. Hard to keep up with.

And i accomplished that by going to, 2 of those folders and deleting the user, because it did inherit .
              rd to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe 310 View Post
                Yes, But i do the same for bravo, and charlie. Alph, has include inheritable permissions. So whenever a folder is created in A, B, C, or D, they will be there.......I then Go to that folder, which would be B,C,or D, and remove the include inheritable permissions, because B,C,and D, have their own assigned users respecfully.........And again, am i looking at this wrong.

And to put another way.

Users of Folder "A", can have permission to anything created within, which is B,C,and D. (However, i don't want some users of A to see all of those folders.) It's really complicated how i have this set up.

To be quiet honest, i don't know if this is the normal way of setting up a data server or not. I try to accomidate the users as much as possible, but i will have 3 folders in 1, where 1 person can see just 1 folder of the 3, but not the other 2. And i have it like this in alot of folders. Hard to keep up with.

And i accomplished that by going to, 2 of those folders and deleting the user, because it did inherit .
                rd to explain.
                You'll have to setup your folder structure differently then

From what i understand your trying to hide 3 folders from some users that have access to the top level folder.

You could do it but the folders would be visible to the users.

To do that you would be better creating a new group and adding those users who are not to get access then deny them access to the sub level folders.

Comment

thanks wullieb1!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X