Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a 2008R2 DNS server to a 2003 Domain

Hello,

Right now I have two servers running AD and DNS. Both are running server 2003. I have a newer server running Server 2008R2 that I would like to add as a DNS server so I can then remove that role from one of the 2003 servers.

I have installed the DNS role on the 2008R2 server, and from DNS on the 2003 server I have added the 2008R2 server to the snap in, but I get a red x over it and a message that it can't connect to the DNS server. The server is up, has a valid IP. Is there somethign I need to do inorder for the 2003 server to recognize DNS on the 2008R2 machine?

thanks,

Brian

Re: adding a 2008R2 DNS server to a 2003 Domain

What type of DNS service is on the 2003 domain? Is a Domain Integrated DNS, a Primary or a Secondary or a stub (cached) DNS?

If its a Domain Integrated, then the 2008 R2 server will have to be Domain Controller so that the DNS zone data can be replicated to the new server.

If the 2003 server is a Parimary DNS server then you need to configrre zone transfer to replicate the data to the Secondary DNS server on the 2008 R2 server.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=WS.10).aspx

Comment

Re: adding a 2008R2 DNS server to a 2003 Domain

How can I tell what type of DNS server I have? Both machines I have running DNS are domain controllers, and both have a forward and a reverse lookup zone.

Thanks for the help,
      Brian

Comment

Working...
      X