Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS namespace will not failover

Hi.
    I am trying to use DFS for file services redundancy. I have set it up replication and but the namespace will not fail over correctly. We only have one site and both servers are in the same subnet. I have other DCs & GCs in the same subnet not listed below.

Here is the scenario:
    SERVER1 (2008 R2, DC, GC, DNS, SMB, DFS & DHCP) [physical machine] 192.168.1.1
    SERVER2 (2008 R1, SMB & DFS) [virtual machine] 192.168.1.2

SERVER1 <--- replication and namespace ---> SERVER2
    Share name is 'itsupport$'. I want SERVER2 to be the preferred server but clients to fail over to SERVER1. Replication is working great.

Problem:
    When SERVER2 goes offline, the share doesn't work at all. I currently have SERVER2 as preferred via DFS override option in the console but this makes no difference to my problem anyway. Even if I try accessing '\\SERVER1\itsupport$' or '\\192.168.1.1\itsupport$' I get an error:
    "\\SERVER2[or IP]\itsupport$ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted..."

If I take SERVER1 offline the share works fine from the namespace or direct.

Unrelated (I think):
    Users are saving data directly into the DFS root (\\domain.com\itsupport$) but I have targets with in the root that only exists on SERVER1. No problem here but obviously I cannot expect HA on these folders.
    To troubleshoot, I am using Windows firewall on a client to simulate an offline server but it seems to do the same thing when the server is really offline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: DFS namespace will not failover

Have you verified that NTFS permissions and share are the same on both servers for the DFS root?

Comment

Just double checked. It should be because as I say, I can access the share on both servers using the host name or IP address.

Comment

Is server1 multihomed?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Not multihomed. Just NIC teaming.

Comment

I asked because we had a similar problem here. Because RRAS is installed, the RRA internal adaptor (which gets its IP address from DHCP), was being picked up by the clients and of course because that was not the physical address of the server, the DFS namespace could not be reached.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X