Sharing And Security Permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing And Security Permissions

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this scenario.

If there is a main folder called "A"
    two subfolders called "B" & "C"

User 1
    User 2
    User 3

User 1 is to get full access of A,B,C

User 2 gets modify access of B only

User 3 gets modify access of C only

SHARING OF "A"

in the sharing tab of FOLDER "A" ...In order for "user2" to be able to modify "B" and "user3" to be able to modify "C" they HAVE to have at least "CHANGE" access to "A" .

SECURITY

In the security tab of folder "A" User 2 and user3 only get read and right.

FOLDERS "B" & "C"

SHARING "NONE"

SECURITY users 2 and 3 have write permissions to their respective folders.

This scenario is how i have it set up and it works fine. The only problem is that i don't want Users 2&3 to be able to create folders or save files to Folder "A", only their respective folders. I don't see any way around it. Any ideas

Thanks

Re: Sharing And Security Permissions

Give users Change share permission to the parent folder and use NTFS permissions to secure them further -- remember they get the worst of NTFS and Share permissions so the general practice is to open up Shares
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sorry,not quite sure what your saying. they do have change permissions to the parent folder. when you say ntfs permissions, do you mean the advanced security. if so is that on the parent folder or their respective folder.

Comment

You need to understand there are two sets of permissions in Windows
        1) Sharing -- only works when accessing content via a UNC path (\\server\sharename) or mapped drive letter and can only be applied to the folder that is shared (everything under that has the same permissions). Set via Properties--Sharing

2) NTFS -- works regardless of how content is accessed and can be set at any level. Set via Properties--Security

When looking at one type of permission, user gets the most advantageous set, e.g. GroupA has Read and GroupB has Write, so user in both groups gets Read AND Write.
        When looking at both types of permissions, user gets the least advantageous, e.g. GroupA has Read Share Permission, Group B has Modify NTFS permission, so user in both groups only gets Read.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X