Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V and Activation

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Dell server with Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. Mainly, this was because my understanding was that the Enterprise version included 4 licenses for VMs (totaling 5 when factoring in the physical).

So I built the physical server and activated Server 2008 R2 using the product key on the server sticker. Then, I built a VM (my first, and also a 2008 R2 Enterprise install from the same media) and activated it using that same key.

Then I tried a 2nd VM. Now suddenly, the product key doesn't work.

I must be doing something wrong. Is my understanding incorrect? Am I simply doing something wrong? I am very new to Hyper-V and even more clueless on the mind-bogglingly complex MS licensing model.

Can someone help, please? Thanks!

Re: Hyper-V and Activation

You should have two product keys on the sticker -- one for the physical and one for the VMs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You should have two product keys on the sticker -- one for the physical and one for the VMs
      Ah Ha! I will look Monday. Question in the meantime... Since I could, in theory, install anything I wanted on to the VMs, how does MS know what Key to provide? For example, if VM 1 I create is the same OS as the physical server (2008 R2 Enterprise) and I build VM 2 as a Windows 7 PC, how would the same key work for both VMs?

Thanks!

Comment

I suspect not, but have never tried it -- the second key should be a multiple activation one for 2008R2
        btw, I would check the licensing as I think you are only supposed to install the same OS (or backwards compatible one) on the VMs as the physical host

(Usual disclaimer about MS licensing, though -- get an answer direct from them, and in writing)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Gotcha. I will look for the 2nd key and report back. Thanks, Ossian.

Comment

YEP!

Sure enough, there is a "physical key" and a "virtual key". Didn't even see that originally!

Thanks, Ossian.

Comment

IIRC you need a magnifier to read the Virtual one

Glad you got it sorted, anyway
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Hi again,

I have a few more general questions, if you'd indulge me.

I am looking at moving to Server 2012 on a network rebuild. This will include a single physical DC (server 2012). Then I am looking at two rather monstrously-powerful server to run the entire server environment in virtual space.

NOT virtualizing clients.

Does Server 2012 (edition undetermined) also include VM licenses? If so, how many? Basically, what started this thread was that my latest Server 2008 Enterprise Edition allowed me to also build 4 VMs on it. If I buy two more physical servers of the proper edition, will those include 4 more VM licenses each, totaling 8?

Which would, in turn, total 12 (8 2012 VMs and 4 2008 VMs)?

I hope that makes sense... LOL!

TIA!

Comment

IIRC (but check with MS anyway):
                  2008 Std allows one VM per physical license
                  2008 Ent allows 4 VMs
                  2008 Datacentre allows unlimited VMs

I believe 2012 has:
                  Std: 2 VMs
                  Datacentre: Unlimited

Hope this helps, but note the only definitive licensing answers are direct from Microsoft
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Thanks, Ossian! Will verify with MS for sure.

Comment

Hi again, Tom!

You are correct, sir. STD allows 2 VMs per license. Additional licenses can be purchased and "stacked", so if I wanted to use STD and have 4 VMs, I would simply have to purchase an additional license.

Hey, so can I get far more general in my questions? I'd like to sound moderately educated before looking into actually purchasing anything...

In general, how does licensing work? What I mean is this... I have about 190 users. 175 of them use email. I have a few applications that require a SQL database.

What will I need to purchase for CALs? Do I buy 190 CALs for each server I have or just 190 total? Presumably, I buy 175 Exchange CALs. What about SQL? Is that per user or per application? Does any of this depend on what any given server is doing?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Worldbuilder
                        Again the only authoritative answer will come directly from MS, in writing (and chose the most favourable to you of the different answers you get from different people there )

Server CALs are usually "per user" which allows connection to multiple servers (but there is a "per server" which allows connection by multiple users. In your case I suspect 190 "per user" CALs would be appropriate
                        Exchange -- yes, 175 CALs (Note Exchange 2010 has two levels -- standard and an add-on enterprise CAL to give access to more features such as archiving)
                        SQL -- options are per user or per processor (per core in SQL 2012) and again you will need all users licensed somehow.

You can see why licensing questions normally cause more grief than anything else!

The good news is most MS licenses are on the "honour system" (honor system for our US colleagues) so there is no software checking of compliance, just Microsofts legal team . This means you can get it roughly right and everything will work, then fine tune the numbers later (please note I am not repeat NOT advocating any avoidance of licensing here)
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Hi Tom,

OK, that all sounds inline with what I've read and makes sense. Thanks! Time to talk to some inside sales guys and get it squared away. I appreciate all the help!

Comment

Working...
                          X