Replication errors between 2003 and 2008 DCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replication errors between 2003 and 2008 DCs

I have a very small network of 16 users. I was looking to transfer FSMO roles from older 2003 DC and demote it. Then I discovered that replication was not occurring between Primary DC (Windows Server 2003) aka DC1 and Secondary DC (Windows Server 2008 32 bit) aka DC2, and net view shows no NETLOGON or SYSVOL shares on Secondary DC. According to date it appears that while 2008 was offline for hard drive replacement that this started happening. When I run a dcdiag /c, I get message that the Secondary DC "SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING or IS NOT CONSIDERED SUITABLE". I can ping back and forth between two servers by name and dcdiag.exe /test:dns passes. Repadmin /replsum gives 0 errors. Time is correct on both servers.

I was advised to demote DC2, unjoin domain, rejoin domain and run dcpromo to promote it again. I need to keep same name of DC2, and this server has a critical application on it that does not exist on DC1. I have read several posts that I may not be able to demote gracefully and may have to do a metadata cleanup.

Questions: Why am I getting this message from dcdiag? Should I try dcdiag /fix first or try the advice I was given? What can go wrong?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: Replication errors between 2003 and 2008 DCs

Try all other solutions first as they won't do any harm, but if you have to, try demoting (it won't work) then nuke DC2 (reinstall OS) and perform a metadata cleanup including deleting computer account on DC1 (oops -- re-read note about "critical application" -- can you reinstall it?
    Join the rebuilt DC2 to the domain (creating an account) and DC Promo, then after replication has occurred, flatten DC1
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for quick response. By other solutions, do you mean the dcdiag /fix? Is there anything else I should try before demoting? I can reinstall the critical application, SQL server, etc., but I was hoping there would be a faster solution.

P.S. What do you mean by flatten DC1?

Comment

First have you tried restarting the "failed" DC?
        There will be more events in the event log, please let us know what they are. Check the dir services log.
        Are both, either of them GCs?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Just restarted failed DC2, and no errors in Dir Svc log other than a warning Event ID 2886. However, I do have events 13565 and 13508 in FRS log. Both DC1 and DC2 are GC's. Question - FRS is set to Manual start on DC1. Should this be automatic?

Comment

After some more research, I started NTFRS on DC1. Then I restarted the NTFRS service on DC2. Now I get Event ID 13568 on DC1 "JRNL_WRAP_ERROR" so should I apply the instructions in the error message to my Windows 2003 Server SP2?

Comment

So I demoted DC2, unjoined domain, found that fqdn of DC1 was not resolving correctly when I tried to rejoin domain so did flushdns..., rejoined domain, promoted DC2. Repadmin /showrepl on DC2 shows all successful, but I still get event 13508 with no 13509 following it. I also still do not have the NETLOGON or SYSVOL shares on DC2. I am not sure how long it should take to replicate but I cannot imagine it would take long with only two domain controllers. What should I try next?

Comment

Hello. Can you read this article?. I think it can help you.

I can't writte links yet in this foro. Search "Complete Step by Step to Remove an Orphaned Domain Controller" in Google and read it.

Comment

Thank you for suggesting that article. It appears to be very well written. However, I am wondering if my next step would be to try an authoritative restore setting burflags on DC1 to D4 and on DC2 to D2 using KB article 315457: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315457. I have an application on the DC2 server that I do not want to reinstall unless absolutely necessary. Also, should FRS service be set to automatic startup type for both DC's? For some reason it is set to manual on DC1.

Comment

Working...
                  X