Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple DHCP Server

Hi ,

We are using Citrix Xen Server 6.0 and inside this we have created 3 Windows Server 2008 System . Now we are having a single gateway available for all out going traffic.

Here i am explaining the scenario

1. Server 1 . ( Windows 2008 ) ( There are about 20 Systems connected to this AD Server )

IP 172.30.5.11
    GW : 172.30.5.1
    DNS : 172.20.5.11

2. Server 2 Windows 2008 ( About 40 Systems Connected to this AD Server )

IP 172.30.5.12
    GW 172.30.5.1
    DNS: 172.30.5.12

3 Server C Windows Server 2008 ( About 50 System Connected to this AD Server)

IP 172.30.5.13
    GW 172.30.5.1
    DNS 172.30.5.13

Now can i create 3 DHCP Server in same subnet 172.30.5.x/24 with GW 172.30.5.1

At present there is only a single DHCP Server is there but when its assigning IP to Clients For B and C it will be problem as its configure for Server A DNS

Can i configure all 3 DHCP server in a case such as 40 clients of Server B gets the DNS as 172.30.5.12 and 50 Client of Server C gets 172.20.5.13 as DNS and common gateway as 172.20.5.1

I can assign the reservation using a MAC address but that will be the long process so is there a other way i can design the network..

Please Help...

Thanks,

Kathy

Re: Multiple DHCP Server

Why on earth would you want three DHCP servers -- two I can understand for redundancy, but three???

Also why would different groups of clients need different DNS servers?

IM(notso)HO you are over-engineering what should be a simple solution:
    3 DCs, 110 clients, one gateway:
    Install DNS on all DCs (no brainer)
    Install DHCP on two of them (split scope with 50-50 division of IPs)
    Set all three DNS server on each scope -- you could have a different "first server" to spread the DNS load if you want
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick response...

Actually i need to create three different DC as those 3 dc are for three different Company and i have hosted their server in my Citrix Xen Server.

Thanks...

Comment

Sorry, my crystal ball must be on the blink (again) as I completely missed any mention of multiple domains in the first post

But even with three domains, there is no particular reason they cannot share DHCP and DNS servers (in the same way as a private tablet will happily pick up an IP etc from a DHCP server even if it is not a domain member).
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Setup conditional forwarders for the other domains on each DC.
          On the DHCP server specify all three DNS servers.
          Get rid of the gateway as a DNS server.

That's just shooting from the hip. I hope none of these are SBS servers.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X