Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profiles & Folder redirection

Hi All,

Its been some time since I logged here and would like ask for your help.

I have the following setup;

* Windows 2008 Server
    DNS
    Terminal Server
    Roaming profiles

* 15 workstations with 20 users.

Currently I have roaming profiles configured on this system and it syncs all the folders in the user folder including the App data and etc. I tried to remove that folder from being synced however some of the applications stopped working.

My questions are ;
    1. Is it possible to restrict what folders won't be synced and will always remain local ?
    If yes, how ? How can I make sure that I won't have any issues with already installed apps ?

2. If the above is not possible. How can I migrate from roaming profiles to folder redirection, I would redirect 'Desktop' 'Documents' 'Pictures' and all the personal folders of the user.

Thank you for your assistance!!

- D

Re: Roaming profiles & Folder redirection

Personally, I don't redirect the App Data folder and leave it part of the Roaming Profile, so therefore, is present locally for applicaitons. Some applicaitons do not like the folder to sit on the server as the performance is not necessairly the same as a local folder.

With regards to excluding certain folders, this is a Group Policy setting worth reviewing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814592

This is an article worth a review.

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtual...ing-the-bloat/

And a Forum thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-CA7351A2AB88

Also, Best Practice is to use Roaming Profiles in conjunction with Folder Redirection. Review this;

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/b...irtualization/
    Last edited by Virtual; 6th December 2012, 15:54. Reason: Added last paragraph

Comment

Thank you for response. I did try to exclude some folders such as remote app from the roaming profiles however most of the applications stopped working (for example IE icon even disappeared).

Please advice.

Thank you,
      Dima

Comment

Also, if I use roaming profiles there is no need using folder redirection, right ?

Comment

You normally want to combine the two -- roaming profiles have to copy to/from the client PC at logon/off whereas redirected folders don't

Redirect anything with large volumes of data (desktop, documents) and roam the remainder for a quicker logon/off
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i'm a bit confused on what the suggestion is.

I tried to disable the remote app from via the group policy but when I did it most of the applications didn't work for any profile, even the default ones such as ie.

Please advice.

Thank you,
            Dima

Comment

Sorry, where does remote app come into it?
              We were talking about roaming profiles
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can anyone assist ?

Thank you,
                Dima

Comment

Currently I have roaming profiles configured on this system and it syncs all the folders in the user folder including the App data and etc. I tried to remove that folder from being synced via the group policies however some of the applications stopped working, even the default ones, such as IE.

What is the best way creating roaming profiles but redirect only the basic user's folders, such as;
                  My Documents
                  My Desktop
                  My Pictures
                  My Videos

I don't want to redirect the APP data and etc to save on the space of the server and to avoid the sync of all the data.

Thank you.

Comment

Roaming profiles and Folder Redirection are two different things.

It's not possible to roam only specific folders of the user profile, but it is possible to redirect specific profile folders to another network location. In both cases though the data will be stored on a file server somewhere on the network.

Its not possible to roam the user profile but keep AppData local. It is possible to roam the profile and redirect AppData to another network location.

Comment

Working...
                    X