Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 configuration help please

Hi,

Sorry for the noob questions and possibly the wrong terminologies, I am new to configuring servers! I am trying to configure my server so that I can use it to run my SEO programs. I have a Dell PowerEdge R410 with Widows 2008 R2. I use to use the server to host websites but it has been sat in a cupboard for 2 years not being used. I recently fired it up but I am having problems configuring it and wonder if someone could point me in the right direction.

The internet was working perfectly yesterday but I couldn't install MS Office and I couldn't remote desktop into it. MS Office wouldn't install as it said I have terminal server running and I needed a volume license of MS Office. I am not sure why I couldn't configure RDP so I could remote desktop. It also wouldn't let me check for updates either. In an attempt to get MS Office installed, I removed all of the roles in Server Manager and deleted old, unwanted folders and programs. This made MS Office work however I now can't connect to the internet (can't complete the registration of MS Office as I can't get online). I have tried all day to connect to the internet but it isn't working - it is not picking up the network at all (a wired ethernet cable runs straight to the router). The internet is working perfectly on my other machines and I have double checked the connections.

What am I doing wrong? I am guessing I have uninstalled something/disabled something I need. What do I need installed/roles set up to connect to the network/internet? If you could help with setting up the remote desktop too so I can remote desktop into it it would be appreciated although I obviously can't use this until I can connect to the internet!

Re: Windows 2008 R2 configuration help please

Hi there.

Could you run ipconfig/all and post the results?

To enable remote desktop, open the system properties (Control Panel -> System), then click Remote Settings on the left-hand side of the window. Choose what you want to allow and then click OK.
    Also check the firewall to make sure Remote Desktop is allowed in. If that doesn't get it working then let us know.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I believe Office will also give you the option of calling Microsoft to activate it as well?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        Hi there.

Could you run ipconfig/all and post the results?

To enable remote desktop, open the system properties (Control Panel -> System), then click Remote Settings on the left-hand side of the window. Choose what you want to allow and then click OK.
        Also check the firewall to make sure Remote Desktop is allowed in. If that doesn't get it working then let us know.
        Hi JennyW, thanks for your help. It says:

Windows IP configuration

Host Name...: WIN-V8ANAL304VP
        Primary DNS Suffix....:
        Node Type....:Broadcast
        IP Routing Enabled....:No
        WINS Proxy Enabled....:No

Tunnel1 adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State.....:Media disconnected
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:
        Description....:Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
        Physical Address....:00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
        DHCP Enabled....:No
        Autoconfiguration Enabled...:Yes

In the event viewer log it comes up with the following message:
        "Broadcom bcm5716c: network controller failed to exchange interface with the bus driver"

The are 2 NICs and both do not work so i presume it is a software issue. I have downloaded the driver for the NIC again and installed it but it says that it is already installed and there are no updates needed. I am not sure why it is saying that DHCP is not enabled in the cmd prompt because when I go to the advanced settings in TCP/IP for TCP/IPv4 it says DHCP enabled in the IP addresses box. Do I have to enable it somewhere else? One of the roles I removed was DHCP Server but surely the router should be acting as the DHCP server?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          I believe Office will also give you the option of calling Microsoft to activate it as well?
          Yes I think I can but my bigger concern was getting the internet going

Comment

I know why it says DHCP isn't enabled, I have put in a static IP! I have tried both automatically searching for an IP and entering a static IP and neither work

Comment

Have you checked in device manager for any missing drivers, exclamation such as the nic drivers card, or any disabled items.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                Have you checked in device manager for any missing drivers, exclamation such as the nic drivers card, or any disabled items.
                How do i do that? In device manager I just get a list of devices, I don't see any error messages or exclamation marks. When I double lick the NICs, there is a driver tab and it is in there that I tried to update the driver but it said it was already installed and up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                  I have activated it by telephone now

Comment

The internet is now working at long last. I uninstalled the NICs and reinstalled them which did the trick. No idea what went wrong there. Now onto setting up remote desktop. I have done the standard right click on computer, select properties, remote settings. The Remote Assistance box is greyed out. In the remote desktop section it is set to "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote Desktop (less secure)"

Any ideas?

Comment

Have you verified the firewall is allowing Remote Desktop?

When you try and connect do you get an error? How long does it take to get an error?
                      Is the Remote Desktop service running?

Run this command at the prompt:
                      Code:
                      netstat /ano | find "3389"
                      Post the output if any. Also, this command will spit out the PID for each network service it returns. Look up the PID in task manager and post the name of the process corresponding to the PID.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        Have you verified the firewall is allowing Remote Desktop?

When you try and connect do you get an error? How long does it take to get an error?
                        Is the Remote Desktop service running?

Run this command at the prompt:
                        Code:
                        netstat /ano | find "3389"
                        Post the output if any. Also, this command will spit out the PID for each network service it returns. Look up the PID in task manager and post the name of the process corresponding to the PID.
                        Hi JeremyW,
                        I can't see anything in the firewall that is stopping it. When I try and remote desktop into the server from another machine, I get the following message:
                        "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1). Remote access to the server is not enabled

2). The remote computer is turned off

3). The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled."

When I type netstat /ano | find "3389" into the cmd prompt I get I get the following:
                        TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1556
                        TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING 1556

Any ideas? Is there anything else i need to set up to be able to remote desktop into the sever?

Comment

How long does it take for the message to come up? Is it right away or is there a several second delay?

For the Windows Firewall, you need to enable the rule that allows Remote Desktop. Everything is blocked by default.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Remote access is now working when i type the computer name in but not the IP address. I'm guessing that means i can only access it when i am on the network and not remotely. How do i set it up to work remotely?

Comment

It works by computer name and not IP address? Are you sure you have the correct IP address?

Ping the hostname and see what IP address comes up.

To access the computer remotely you'll need to do one of the followinng:
                              - forward port 3389 to your server from your firewall/router
                              - setup a VPN to connect you to your network remotely
                              - Use a 3rd party solution like LogMeIn
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X