Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to save changes in a Notepad

Hi All,

On one of my Web Servers there is a web config file. We can open the Web File via notepad and can see the contents. I have full rights on the file. I logon to the server as domain admin.

However when I try to save anything in the notepad it returns access denied.
    I checked for the effective permissions and I have all the permissions.

when I open any notepad (via run as admin) on the server and then browse to the web config - it will let me save it.

There are other Web Servers on which there are other Web Config files that come up fine. It is only this one which returns Access Denied.

This is a Windows server 2008 R2. Any suggestions on what i can check here.

Thanks

Re: Not able to save changes in a Notepad

If you are not saving it directly on the server, but via a UNC path, it may be share permissions (default is everyone-read) beating NTFS permissions. When you go directly onto the server and save, only NTFS permissions apply.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I am accessing the file from the server. I am not accessing it via UNC

Comment

OK -- it wasn't clear from your original post

So to confirm, notepad will not save, admin notepad will save and on other server (same OS?) normal notepad will save?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes -- If I open the notepad as Admin level -- browse to the config file -- this works

However I go directly to the config file (on the server ) then it will not let me save it

Comment

and are the other servers where normal notepad works using the same OS (2008R2)?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Yes it works on the other Servers.
              Web config file on other Web Servers will work -- they have everything in common

Comment

the windows hosts file is like this.
                it tells me I have all effective permissions except "Full control" (which should give me access to write to it.)

check the permissions on the file and make sure you give yourself explicit full contorl.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X