Server 2008 R2 file server issue - C drive full

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R2 file server issue - C drive full

Hello all! I've recently started having a strange issue on our file server where the C drive is filling up however I can't see where the space is being used. I've used utilities like "showman" or "windirstat" to see where the space is being used however the numbers aren't adding up. The drive is 60 GB with about 400MB's free right now. The drive space utilities both show windows using about 15 GB's of space with nothing consequential anywhere else. It's a virtual server (vmware esx host) so the other day i shut it down, mounted the c drive on another virtual server (running windows 2008 r2 as well) and increased the drive from 40 to 60 GB's. It took about 2 days for it to show full again. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Re: Server 2008 R2 file server issue - C drive full

Update, added another image
    Attached Files

Comment

A little unsure about which system is being used where, but it sounds like you've got log files filling a drive, virtual or real. In Server 2008, you don't see system files/folders by default, you have to go into Control Panel/Folder Options to change what you see. It may be that your tools, if not 'run as administrator', didn't see all the folders, so you didn't see the culprit.

If you do have log files taking over, something isn't right. Once you find out whether it's local files on the host, or VHD/VMDK files from the VMs, then you can chase down the offending VM and sort that problem.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
        A little unsure about which system is being used where, but it sounds like you've got log files filling a drive, virtual or real. In Server 2008, you don't see system files/folders by default, you have to go into Control Panel/Folder Options to change what you see. It may be that your tools, if not 'run as administrator', didn't see all the folders, so you didn't see the culprit.

If you do have log files taking over, something isn't right. Once you find out whether it's local files on the host, or VHD/VMDK files from the VMs, then you can chase down the offending VM and sort that problem.
        I've got the folder view settings so that I can see everything. It is odd. The server's vmdk (virtual disk file) is reporting 60 GB's and I don't have any snapshots hanging around. I'll rerun the tools using the "run as" option however I am logged onto the box as an admin (local).

Comment

How much ram? pagefile can expand if the box is heavily used and pagefile is set to system. Although this is probably unlikely given the 20GB increase!
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            How much ram? pagefile can expand if the box is heavily used and pagefile is set to system. Although this is probably unlikely given the 20GB increase!
            The box has 6GB RAM and the page file is set to system managed. It is on a separate drive too. The "E" drive is where all the file shares live and I am using shadow copies there. I did verify and the shadow copies storage is on the E drive. I may just look at restoring from backup (using Veeam so I should be able to restore just the C drive) but I'm not looking forward to it.... I'm thinking there may be some kind of corruption going on. I'll schedule a disk check over the holiday and see what happens.

Comment

Chkdsk was my next suggestion.
              Those program files directories look very small though?
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I use two main programs to tell me where all the disk space is been used, first is treesize and the 2nd is windirstat both free.
                The disk cleanup utility that is part of windows is often overlooked and a great tool for giving back disk space.
                http://www.howtogeek.com/50259/add-d...n-server-2008/
                There are some other various directories too that are safe to delete the contents of. Like.
                C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
                also the contents of the reports dir
                C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ WER\ReportQueue
                that's all i can remember of the top of my head.
                I do occasionally run ccleaner on servers too, haven't had any issues, but analyse first just in case.
                Hope this helps.
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Treesize will usually give the better indexing of where the large files are.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

definitely a fan of TreeSizeFree.

I suspect you'll find your disk usage in \windows\winsxs (which you can't delete)

also look for IIS logs, and WinEVT, and SQL Logs that aren't truncating
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X