FTP Outbound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Outbound

hello, i am using a Script running from the commandline (ftpcmd.dat) on a Win2k3 DC without any issues... using Schedule Tasks to set it off daily to retrieve some files from an FTP Server.
    i have setup the same schedule on the new 2k8r2 Server and the script kicks off but will hang during mget
    is there something in the Firewall that could block this potentially?
    this script is launched with admin rights.
    i can manually run the command in the script from that 2k8r2 Server and get the same results. i can cd to a directory, login, etc. but cannot even do a simple ls command.

Re: FTP Outbound

Perhaps if you posted the script someone might be able to assist you.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      Perhaps if you posted the script someone might be able to assist you.
      nothing to do with the script... something to do with W2k8r2 though.

Comment

Have you turned off the firewall to check if that is the issue??

Does this help at all??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Have you turned off the firewall to check if that is the issue??

Does this help at all??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
          hi, thanks for the link... i did try shutting down the FW and FTP worked fine.
          i found later after some digging that changing the SVCHOST.EXE to 'allow' in the respective profile fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by swixtt View Post
            hi, thanks for the link... i did try shutting down the FW and FTP worked fine.
            i found later after some digging that changing the SVCHOST.EXE to 'allow' in the respective profile fixes the problem.
            I wouldn't have added svchost.exe as that actually covers a multitude of OS system files.

Comment

This is something that I have found a little strange. svchost.exe is used for things such as Windows Update. Unless svchost.exe is allowed Internet access the updating process fails. A firewall in interactive mode will always throw up the option to allow svchost.exe, and not the service that is using it.

Is there a utility available within Windows that lets you determine which service is using a particular instance of svchost.exe?

There is a 3rd party utility called svchost viewer available from here http://svchostviewer.codeplex.com/. However, using it shows that one instance of svchost can host many services at the same time.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

yes, it is bizarre but i think that is in part why it got 'written up'. others had tried other settings to no avail ... like MS wrapped up the FW project without including the FTP. remember i did not add any IIS, FTP, roles or features. i just simply wanted to FTP into a Server to download a file.
                if i could NOT use svchost i would certainly change it but until then i'll just leave it. took me a few days to get this scheduled task to run in 08r2 anyway. today was the first day it ran on its own

Comment

Working...
                X