X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2008R2 applications and services running at startup

Hi

Just a general query

How would I determine what order services and applications will startup when a server is powered on (booted) in Server 2008?

So when we actually power on a server how can specific services and applications be setup to start in sequence. Also, how can we check the startup of events has been successful in the order we would like them to startup?

Many Thanks
    Bongo

Re: server 2008R2 applications and services running at startup

You can set services to depend on other services so they will start in order.

Google has many examples but here is one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

I would recommend not playing with the default system stuff though unless you know what you're doing!
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi

Thank you for your response. Although I know how to delay start up services as per your link. My question is. With Server 2008 R2 upon a restart how can I configure what service starts first in order? Server 2003 is slightly different

Are the services that start controlled by some custom start up script, or manually determined?

In the event of an unexpected Server 2008 R2 shutdown. What happens to services upon startup?

Please dont say you wouldnt recommend playing with OS unless you know what your doing. I am asking for advice here

Many Thanks
      Bongo

Comment

I don't know for a fact what determines how services start but I believe they all try and start on boot unless they have a reliance on another service. The 2008 delayed start just gives certain processes a lower priority therefore they will start towards the end of a startup process.

To choose an order I believe you would have to make each service dependant on the previous one. Services that aren't dependant wouldn't care what else was running so would try and start as soon as possible depending on resources available.

btw I said don't play with the "default system" stuff not don't play in general (i.e. Microsoft set it up how they wanted so changing it may have undesired results). If this is test only system then go for it. I would say it is a standard warning like don't play in the registry as you can stop machines from working permanently etc and wasn't an insult as in "don't play because you don't know what you're doing".
        cheers
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

What I've done in the past to solve this is create a script that runs at startup. You first set the services in question to Manual so they don't automatically startup. Let's say you chose to make it a batch file. It would look something like this:

Code:
          @echo off
          echo.
          echo %date% %time% Starting services in order...
          net start Service1
          net start Service2
          net start Service3
          echo.
          echo %date% %time% [Done]
          I used a somewhat more complex VBScript which would read the service names from an XML file and verify each step before moving on to the next and it also wrote all output to a log file. It doesn't have to be complex though. It really depends on your needs.
          Jay Adams, Noxigen LLC

Comment

Working...
          X