No announcement yet.

NTFS errors (event 55) on nonexistent volume.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS errors (event 55) on nonexistent volume.

NTFS (event id 55) are being logged at ~30secs interval in the logs. I know that the monitoring tool is causing them when it's polling the disks health status. However, the errors point to a nonexistent volume.

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}.

I was able to tell that the volume was nonexistant by looking in the regedit.

We've tried reinstalling the monitoring agent but the errors keep going. After a search in the registry for the nonexistant volume, it found 3 keys.

HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Expl orer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

HLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\Statistics\Volume{xxxx xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

HU\S-1-5-xx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

Would it be safe to delete these keys ?

Best regards,

Re: NTFS errors (event 55) on nonexistent volume.

It sounds like it's a VSS System Volume shadow copy. Are you backing up the server with a VSS aware backup program?

Re: NTFS errors (event 55) on nonexistent volume.

VSS is being used for backup, yes.

What led me to point towards the monitoring software is 2 things.

First, using procmon, i was able to see that MonitoringHost.exe was being executed everytime the NTFS error was logged, at the exact same second.

Second, we stopped the server from being monitored and stopped the agent services, errors stopped.