Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Qs on upgrading domain 2003 to 2008

Hi all,
    I am planning this domain upgrade (2003 to 2008 r2) and was hoping someone could answer a few Qs.

Current situation - two DCs and an exchange 2007 member server. (call them OLDDC1, OLDDC2, EX2K7) Both DCs are also DNS servers. The exchange 2007 server is running on 64-bit 2003 server.

I would like to add two new servers - NEWDC1, NEWDC2 - both running 2008 R2. The other servers will stay in place and still be used.

Basic steps:
    • join the new 2k8r2 servers to the 2003 domain. Then promote them - dcpromo.
    • once finished, demote the existing 2k3 DCs. They should then become member servers.
    • To sum up - the DCs will be 2008r2 and everything else (member servers) will be 2003.

My Qs:
    • Will this upgrade affect the exchange server? Does anything need to be installed on it?
    • After demoting the 2003 DCs, does anything need installed on them?
    • Are there any issues with leaving DNS on the 2003 servers?
    • When promoting to 2008r2 - do the FSMO roles automatically get moved to the new domain controllers?

Any and all help greatly appreciated,
    Rob

Re: Some Qs on upgrading domain 2003 to 2008

Q: Will this upgrade affect the exchange server? Does anything need to be installed on it?

A: No. As long as the new DC's install and promote OK and your internal DNS is working you shouldn't need to do anything with Exchange.

Q: After demoting the 2003 DCs, does anything need installed on them?

A: Only whatever needs to be installed or configured in order for them to fill their new role, whatever that's going to be.

Q: Are there any issues with leaving DNS on the 2003 servers?

A: I would recommend "moving" DNS to the new DC's. You can achieve this by selecting to install DNS during DCPROMO. I'm assuming your AD DNS zone is AD integrated. If it's not then I recommend you make it so. In smaller environments I find it's simpler to have the DC and DNS roles on the same servers.

Q: When promoting to 2008r2 - do the FSMO roles automatically get moved to the new domain controllers?

A: No. There are two ways to approach this:

1. Let the DCPROMO process pick the new FSMO role holder when you demote the old DC's. the DCPROMO process will gracefully transfer the roles as each old DC is demoted. The problem with this approach is that you can't control which DC assumes the roles. I'm sure MS has a "set of rules" that are used for determining where the roles are moved to, but I have no idea what it is.

2. Manually transfer the roles to one of the new DC's after you've promoted them.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply - this forum is great.

DNS - yes, they are AD-integrated.

If I add the two new DCs as DNS servers - is there any harm in continuing to use the current DNS as-is? I already have DHCP setup with this DNS info and it would be simpler to just leave it that way.

Thanks,
      Rob

Comment

One more Q - since I am replacing my DCs, do I still need to run ADPREP?

Rob

Comment

Yes -- you have to upgrade the AD schema before you can add the first 2008R2 DC to your existing domain -- remember to ADPREP on the schema master using the correct version (32 or 64 bit) for the architecture of the computer you are running it on, NOT for the new DC
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X