Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy of Active Driectory 2008 R2 from Production environment to Test Environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy of Active Driectory 2008 R2 from Production environment to Test Environment

I am always reading tips from this community and this will be the 1st time that I am posting here with a question. I was requested to create a test environment for our company and we want to duplication of our production site.

I did a research of the best options to do this and I found out two ways to do it:

1) Use admt tool to migrate objects from AD prod to AD test. (Is this solution will migrate all GPs, permissions, schema, etc, )
    2) I found it here and in a technet site:
    "- dcpromo a new DC in production
    - make the new DC a GC
    - install DNS on the new DC
    - disconnect the new DC from production network
    - clean up the DC's metadata in production environment
    - put the disconnected DC in a seperate VLAN
    - seize the FSMO roles
    - in the test environment perform metadata cleanup to remove the production DCs from test environment.
    - update the sites&subnets info to reflect the new test subnet layout

Is is the same for 2008 R2? Because this instructions were for 2003 servers."

After that, I think the best way to do it is the option 2. My supervisor was talking to keeping sync our AD prod with our AD test? Is that possible? Our test environment will be a different forest, different domain, completely different FQDN. Is it possible to create the sync with a trust relation ship?

I found a lot of questions asking the same thing, but no one update those questions with an answer if the solution from the post works. I will certainly update this post with our solution when is completed.

Thanks in advance for the time to read my question and I hope you can help me.

Jose

Re: Copy of Active Driectory 2008 R2 from Production environment to Test Environment

How about a DR test? Use your backups to restore the environment as if you lost it all?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Copy of Active Driectory 2008 R2 from Production environment to Test Environment

I'd definetly go with DR test too.............2 birds with one stone and you'll be double happy chappy. Or chapesse

Comment

Hi,

thanks for replying back. We have a DR environment and it is active-active solution (really cool!!). We want a test environment to try the new windows 2012, Exchange 2013 and lync 2013. We would like to have a test environment that is receiving updates from our production AD. I read that a lot of people have test environment but, they dont have it update it.

thats why i am checking on these forum if someone is using something like that!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X