No announcement yet.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Internet Time Sync

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Internet Time Sync

On my network I have 2 domain controllers- both of which are Server 2008 r2 64 bit. I have an app server that is a domain controller with server 2003 installed. I also have 12 workstations with XP pro installed. The network time has been off for quite some time now. At this point it is off by about 8.5 minutes. Consequently, all of my workstations are also off. The network appears to be in sync but I need to fix this issue as our time clock software gets its time from the network. I have several SQL instances that run on the primary domain controller. I know that workstations update from the server that holds the fsmo roles, but how do I change the time on that server? Also, how to I set it so that the server will update from a reliable online source? Will this have any effect on the sql instances that are running? Are there any other side effects of changing the time? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 Internet Time Sync

By default, the time of network devices that are authenticating against AD need to be within 5 minutes of the PDC role holder's time. You should be able to change the time on the PDC role holder using the Adjust Date/Time option in the notification area. However, has the PDC role holder's time gradually moving away still from the actual time? It would be worth reviewing the PDC role holder's time settings. Google will help with that. When changing the time, do it in two stages to esnure that devices are within 5 minutes of its time and verify that their time has then fully synched with the PDC role holder whereas you can then set the actual time.

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 Internet Time Sync

Yes- over the last two years the time has gradually been slipping. I cannot say for sure that it wasn't off by several minutes from the beginning, but it hasn't changed by much in the last 6 months. I would like to have the PDC get it's time from a reliable online source such as then all of the workstations should sync with the PDC. I have found several article about setting the time and they look mostly like this:
      1. Log in to your PDC Server and open the command prompt.
      2. Stop the W32Time service: C:\>net stop w32time
      3. Configure the external time sources, type: C:\> w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:”,,”
      4. Make your PDC a reliable time source for the clients. Type: C:\>w32tm /config /reliable:yes
      5. Start the w32time service: C:\>net start w32time
      6. The windows time service should begin synchronizing the time. You can check the external NTP servers in the time configuration by typing: C:\>w32tm /query /configuration
      7. Check the Event Viewer for any errors.
      I just want to be sure this will not cause issues.